Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Problems today

Options
  • 15-12-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Anyone having big problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Service flickering on and off all day and more off than on.

Posting in bits as I'm losing signal all the time. I'm on broadband via a land line with Wifi in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Nothing worse then usual.. Which is usually pretty crap tbh!

Thanks. All my e-mails are arriving in twice as well.

I'm aware of someone near me (Ennis Road - Caherdavin area) also has Eircom problems.

Total blx. No news updates or anything else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It was on the radio today that Eircom are repairing phone lines after the recent storms. So if you are using DSL broadband then any reduction in quality of the line will affect your broadband too.

Thanks everyone.

Just come off the phone to Eircom broadband support.

Apparently they need to SLOW down my speed to get me working again.... I sense a lot of BS having been brought down by the recent snow shower.

At least I'm back. But at a snail's pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ok this is what baffles me, eircom pretty much owns all the net infrastructure and other companies rent of them, how can they have the worst net service going. got rid of them along time ago and i'm constantly hearing my mates b1tch about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bicycle wrote: »
    Thanks. All my e-mails are arriving in twice as well.

I'm aware of someone near me (Ennis Road - Caherdavin area) also has Eircom problems.

Total blx. No news updates or anything else!!

I'm with eircom and out of the Caherdavin exchange and experienced no problems last night. Was online from about 7.30 to about 10.30 and had no issues.

Phog, I really haven't a clue what was going on.

They were claiming that the speed is slower during bad weather. But they still couldn't explain what was going on.

Apparently the service guy I was speaking to had actually been out to Caherdavin yesterday.....

At least I'm back to feeling like a normal person again :D I didn't realise how dependent I was on the internet. Felt as if I had been cut off from the rest of the world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

any of ye out around Lisnagry/Castleconnell?
    Am looking at getting Eircom BB in to the house and have an 'Amber' line which enables me to receive 1.5Mb max. Am 6 mile from Exchange.Was just wondering if anyone has any similar connection & what is it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

I'm also out the caherdavin direction and have had awful service of late.

DSL refusing to connect constantly and dropping out when it is working.
    assumed it was due to the dog chewing the cable, but the problem persisted after i replaced it on Thursday.

hopefully a new modem off them next week will fix it permanently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

On the North Circular Road, the DSL connection keeps failing. Its fine for a while and then every now and then it just goes off... Takes a good while to come back also!! Anyone have any update on what the story is??

Ms.Cosmo wrote: »
    On the North Circular Road, the DSL connection keeps failing. Its fine for a while and then every now and then it just goes off... Takes a good while to come back also!! Anyone have any update on what the story is??

Have you filters fitted? Have you anything in the house connected that could be bringing down the BB? I've heard of the Sky box bringing it down.

exactly the same story in mayorstone.
    still no new modem yet.:rolleyes:

phog wrote: »

Have you filters fitted? Have you anything in the house connected that could be bringing down the BB? I've heard of the Sky box bringing it down.

No nothing like that at all, just a laptop and 2 iPhones. Very annoying especially when you're in the middle of something!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

exactly the same story in mayorstone.
    still no new modem yet.:rolleyes:

Get a proper router! The Zyxel one that they send out is rubbish! I bought a Netgear router recently to replace my netopia router. A friend had the "new" eircom Zyxel router, and their connection was constantly dropping, and I gave them the netopia router and they havent had any problems since. Supposedly Eircom know about the issue but still send them out.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Get a proper router! The Zyxel one that they send out is rubbish! I bought a Netgear router recently to replace my netopia router. A friend had the "new" eircom Zyxel router, and their connection was constantly dropping, and I gave them the netopia router and they havent had any problems since. Supposedly Eircom know about the issue but still send them out.

we have a netopia modem connected to a netgear wireless router and that does the wifi/ethernet.

its definately a modem problem from trouble shooting the set up. whether a new one will fix the problem i dont know, but its the next thing on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

its not the modem or the router thats the problem, its eircom, go to upc, you will have no problems with them and they are half the price than eircom. problem solved

skyguy19 wrote: »
    its not the modem or the router thats the problem, its eircom, go to upc, you will have no problems with them and they are half the price than eircom. problem solved

UPC have a lot less geographic coverage than eircom so for a lot that aint a solution.

Eircom have said it's probably a fault on the line and an engineer will check it out after Christmas. Saying that it's been good enough today, only dropped once or twice as opposed to every few minutes last night so who knows what's actually happening!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Eircom have said it's probably a fault on the line and an engineer will check it out after Christmas. Saying that it's been good enough today, only dropped once or twice as opposed to every few minutes last night so who knows what's actually happening!!:confused:

have any of you got eircom NGB? from talking to various people, i understand that this has caused them a lot of frustration, being moved from the old eircom broadband to this 'next generation' nonsense.

around the issue of the zxyel routers, there's a new firmware out, (off the top of my head i cant remember the version number) but i havent experienced any issues with the one i have (port forwarding was a PITA alright, but not impossible!), but i've found it to be a very stable router connection wise.

having said all that, i use belkin routers mostly myself (although they have their fair share of detractors too!) and im a smart telecom customer.

contention ratio is the main reason i wont go with UPC, as someone mentioned them earlier in the thread, they too have their fair share of issues, like paying for 100MB broadband yet only getting half the speed, and they seem to go down more often than DSL providers, although admittedly not for as long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Mc Love wrote: »
    The Zyxel one that they send out is rubbish!

It certainly is. I upgraded to so-called eircom NGB, they sent out a Zyxel modem. There was no signal in some parts of the house. I rang tech support who advised to go back to the previous Motorola modem, which had better signal strength. So, why did they send out an inferior product? Plonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

im in shannon and since we got a zytel ro replace the netopia one
    its been dire, keep losing connections, so much in fact im away to buy
    a new one tomorrow, any suggestions on what to get.

It will be serving, 2 laptops, few smartphones and an old horse of a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

whatever type you are getting try for one with 'N' wireless range minimum as a lot of modern smartphones use this standard.
    I have always used Belkin routers ADSL & cable type with no problems.
    Have you NGB? You might have to take your current modem with you to show the shop assistant. Alternatively you could buy from Komplett.ie or Amazon i have bought from both with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Use the netopia if you can - or else get a fancy netgear one!

Advertisement