Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hole in front tooth

Options
  • 15-12-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

hi

a hole devoloped in the tooth a while ago and its after getting very large very fast(a week) .can this be fixed by a filling or is this going to get expensive.
    btw i dont have a 2 shillins to rub together and i wondering is ther a way to get this done free if im a 3rd level student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

iamthest1g wrote: »
    hi

a hole devoloped in the tooth a while ago and its after getting very large very fast(a week) .can this be fixed by a filling or is this going to get expensive.
    btw i dont have a 2 shillins to rub together and i wondering is ther a way to get this done free if im a 3rd level student

You'd need a clinical exam and an X-ray to determine the depth of decay... If not involving the pulp- a white filling would do. If extending into the pulp- you'd need a root canal treatment with a filling or maybe a crown...??

When you see decay on front teeth like that- I'd suspect that you have decay issues elsewhere as the front teeth are usually easier to clean and less likely to get decay than back teeth. Do you drink lots of soft drinks??

Medical card allow for 2 fills per year or per 12 months- I don't know which. Don't think that it covers root canal treatment but I may be wrong. It covers extractions.

The dental hospitals may see you but you'll still pay even if treated by a student. Being a 3rd level student doesn't really help you, sorry.

Regardless, it needs treatment or you'll get pain/ infection very soon, do your best to get it sorted...

Good luck,
    OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

What OS said, looks like a simple white filling will do the job and any dentist can blend these in so you cannot tell the difference. If the decay is extensive there may be other issues but we cannot tell that from here.

Advertisement