Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolant level VW Golf

Options
  • 15-12-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

The engine on my 1997 VW golf (40 000 miles) is overheating (engine overheating light on and steam coming from engine) Filled up with coolant screwed on cap and left overnight to see if any leakage occurred. Level was the same next morning. No leak?

Turned on the engine while stationary and after after about 20 mins wisps of steam are coming out from the coolant expansion tank engine (in fact I can see the coolant boiling in the expansion tank) although engine overheating light does not come on. What is preventing the coolant from doing its job? Coolant pump? Air hole?

Dont use the car much so fancy having a bash at fixing it myself. Bought a Haynes Manual!! Was gonna drain the entire cooling system and refill. Any advice or observations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
    Richard

P.S.

(I'm just curious here feel free to ignore)

Id also be interested to know how the cooling system works. I gather the coolant draws heat from the engine thus heating the coolant. But since its a closed system and there is a finite amount of coolant in the system I would imagine the coolant has to be cooled down pretty quickly before it can draw more heat from the engine. How is this acheived? Thanks again

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement