Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wimax

Options
  • 15-12-2011 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

anyone using wimax for online gaming. is it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Heard off so many people its rubbish, in fact everyone I've talked to about it said its rubbish. Get real broadband, the one that comes through your telephone line. You get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ltoothey

cant get upc in my area eventhough its city centre.so annoyed. and cant really afford to be paying a line rental on top of the broadband bill. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I used to have €ircom in my old house where I couldn't get UPC and never found fault with it. Rarely dropped the connection. Wimax will be be fairly unplayable online. You can expect 300+ms pings. Any games that you are allowed to connect to with that ping will be pretty much unplayable. And that's just the gaming! Check out the Broadband forum for some of the horror stories that comes with Wimax. Here are most of the broadband options in Ireland: link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Im in the city centre and use Vodafone home broadband. Its the wired type through the telephone line(not wireless like Wimax). I have not played any games but I can download a film in about 10 minutes. It has speeds up to 8mg and is €38 per month with no line rental. Im happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Plug wrote: »
    Get real broadband, the one that comes through your telephone line. .
    No, get real broadband, the one that comes though cable. I have 25Meg broadband with UPC and it's fly.

Eircom 8Meg chugs the fat one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

i have wimax and use it for gaming and downloading and i never have a problem with it, 3 xboxes in the house 2 of them connected to the internet and never an issue, i have a good connection but an even better router as sometimes the router can be the issue not only the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Can you get UPC broadband by itself without the TV package thrown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Firetrap wrote: »

You can get it without the TV package. I have three months left on my Sky contract so I will try UPC TV when that's up - it will work out MUCH cheaper than UPC BB + Sky TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Firetrap wrote: »

You can, however there is an extra EUR7.50 standalone charge for getting broadband without UPC TV....

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

You'd be better off with dialup then Wimax, far more reliable. Constantly disconnecting and restarting the connection every so often. Sometimes when a friend came over and connected to Wimax on there device the connection would reset for everyone connected to it. Eventually stopped working and when I rang them about it (I had no house phone because that goes through Wimax so I had to use my mobile and its not cheap) for them to tell me it was trying to connect to the Donegal Wimax and tried charge us €150 to get it fixed.

Only reason I got it was cause the fat man that called to the door danced and sang the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

Doff wrote: »
    You'd be better off with dialup then Wimax, far more reliable. Constantly disconnecting and restarting the connection every so often. Sometimes when a friend came over and connected to Wimax on there device the connection would reset for everyone connected to it. Eventually stopped working and when I rang them about it (I had no house phone because that goes through Wimax so I had to use my mobile and its not cheap) for them to tell me it was trying to connect to the Donegal Wimax and tried charge us €150 to get it fixed.

Only reason I got it was cause the fat man that called to the door danced and sang the song.

I have to agree with the statement above, horrible service, speed jumps are a joke, one min its 1mb and them goes up to 9 for abot 2 min, then back to ****e for the rest of the day, or gone like yesterday for d whole evening... PISSED OFF, want to quit

Advertisement