Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web / software development part time degree?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I'v been looking around for a while now and can't seem to find one. Does anyone know if it's possible to study either part time or Distance learning for a degree in web design or software development in Ireland.
    I'd settle for a diploma with the option of further progression.
    Thanks ...

Comments

Open University
    DCU / Oscail
    I have thought about doing the first myself. I keep putting if off - I might do a short course locally to get a taste for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I have thought about doing the first myself. I keep putting if off - I might do a short course locally to get a taste for it.

If you haven't much experience in web development - can I suggest that you have a look at the TutsPlus network to get a feel for it?

In particular - http://net.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/php/page/16/ - this links to the start of their tutorials on PHP developement and I think would be a good place to start. They also have good tutorials on HTML/CSS.

I am in no way affiliated with this lot - just have found them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

dublin business school
    http://www.dbs.ie/web-design/evening-diploma.htm

they have a diploma and advanced diploma in web design

sligo it last time i checked had a degree in web design

fetac have a level 5 and 6 in web design

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

As a qualified & experienced practitioner my advice is to not bother with evening classes / FETAC stuff. Nothing wrong with FETAC qualifications but every single course I have reviewed is way out of date and/or focuses way too much on specific tools.

Somebody else mentioned Nettuts & that is a decent online learning resource, as is W3schools, smashing magazine, Alist apart. The industry moves extremely fast & no course will offer you the latest knowledge. IT professionals are used to teaching themselves because it's absolutely necessary to do so.

Best way to learn is to do. Don't put books, courses, etc on pedestals. A degree just tells me you can learn, but that's only the start.

My advice, use free online resources first, get your hands dirty with code. Shortcuts are a waste of time & will need to be unlearned later. Patience, persistence & curiosity are necessary virtues.

Developing software is hell for those that just do it for the money. See how you feel about before investing in classroom learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭EUSSR

Avoid the OU. Their reputation is nothing special and the cost is gone up to insane levels for a distance degree. I suggest the University of London External degree programs. You sit the exams locally in Ireland and gain the same qualification as a local candidate. The cost is much lower. You are looking at only around 4-5k(gbp) not taking tax relief into account. Much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

OU is still the old prices if you start before October 12 but I think the majority of modules are marked as unavailable to people who aren't already registered for that reason.

I would expect the UL prices to rocket shortly also - it has to do with the way higher education funding is done in the UK across the board.

Advertisement