Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard drive recording from UPC

• 15-12-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

My Mum's VCR has packed in.

Is there any hard drive recorder I can get her so she can just set the times and record direct from the TV just the same as she did with her VCR?

Anything else to consider (and please explain any acronyms you use!)?

Many thanks,

Mr Y

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

Depends in the area she lives in but she could get a Digital + box which is similar to a Sky+ box that Sky do, believe they are a extra 3.75pm with install fee of 20e

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mr Yunioshi

Thanks, Campo.

Will that work with ordinary non-HD UPC?

Cheers,

Mr Y

I presume she has the standard upc digital box so this would replace this , its basically like the standard box only with a hard drive installed to allow you to record programmes and watch back at a later date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

My Mum's VCR has packed in.

Is there any hard drive recorder I can get her so she can just set the times and record direct from the TV just the same as she did with her VCR?

Anything else to consider (and please explain any acronyms you use!)?

Many thanks,

Mr Y
    Can we start with
    UPC
    TV
    VCR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I presume you're referring to analogue UPC (ie cable, not digital?) Then yes, you can buy DVD/HDD recorders that work like a VCR and record to DVD or HDD rather than a cassette. Eg, this is what I have:
    http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/dvd-players/archive-dvd-players/DVD-SH897M/XEU

• Advertisement

So if she got this one here, it says both the scarts are inputs - does that mean it can work only with an HD television?

Her TV is old and non-HD. And that kind of money is a bit hurty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, does your mother currently receive TV from an aerial or a cable service like UPC? Please tell us what her source is, then we can probbaly suggest options.

If she receives from an aerial, what (if any) cable service is available in her area?

Hi, she has UPC through the cable but the TV is really old and not HD. Also she is so used to programming in a start and stop time - that is all that is needed.

So an HD recorder that will record her programmes direct off the TV with a scart output into the back of the TV is what I was hoping to find.

Hi, she has UPC through the cable but the TV is really old and not HD. Also she is so used to programming in a start and stop time - that is all that is needed.

So an HD recorder that will record her programmes direct off the TV with a scart output into the back of the TV is what I was hoping to find.

Really think best option is to ring UPC and ask to upgrade to the Digital plus it does exactly what you are looking for as above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

campo wrote: »
    Really think best option is to ring UPC and ask to upgrade to the Digital plus it does exactly what you are looking for as above

Absolutely. And can be done at the push of a button if she wants immediate recording. Those boxes are simple to use. Forget about a hdd recorder to connect via scart, when you have the simplicity of the pvr.

• Advertisement
Advertisement