Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intersnhip or not?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently looking for work in Marketing having finished my masters this year. Getting a job however is proving tricky. I have had a few interviews but have still not been offered a position. (I am trying to improve my interview skills but the amount of interviews I get are few and far between).

I am considering doing an internship with a marketing company to gain further experience so that I might get more interviews in the long term when I go looking for a job. However I have moved back home to Sligo where there are not many decent internships going. I have been offered an internship with a very reputable marketing firm in Dublin in the past but this was months ago when I had just graduated and was more confident in my ability to land a paid job.

Do you think it is worth moving back to Dublin for an unpaid internship (assuming I can get one with a good company) or should I continue to look for work from home? (The only think I am doing from here is some free marketing work for local companies/charities so that I can add it to my CV).

I have considered going to a recruitment agency to see what they advise, has anyone had success with them? Any recommendations on a good one to talk with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

HI

Are you in receipt of social welfare?? If so you may consider doing your internship through the JobBridge Scheme as I did. I started last week.

As part of the scheme you get to keep your social welfare + an extra 50 yo yos on top.

Its something to consider...........

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

And when your unpaid internship runs out you can start another with a different company. You'll never be out of work but it might take ten years or so before you are actually paid for a job.

Well i guess if you bring that sort of negativity into an internship its quite possible you wont get offered a role at the end of it. Besides the end result is about gaining experience as you will def not get a paid role without it....................

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

And when your unpaid internship runs out you can start another with a different company. You'll never be out of work but it might take ten years or so before you are actually paid for a job.

Bit of a negative way to look at it. The point of taking an unpaid internship in my situation is to use it as an opportunity to show why I should be hired full time and failing that so it at least gives me some relevant experience.

The only thing stopping me is that I would have to move back up to dublin (from sligo) and there is a lot of expense involved in that. I'm still undecided and will more than likely not make a decision on it until after christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

daveyid89 wrote: »
    Bit of a negative way to look at it. The point of taking an unpaid internship in my situation is to use it as an opportunity to show why I should be hired full time and failing that so it at least gives me some relevant experience.

The only thing stopping me is that I would have to move back up to dublin (from sligo) and there is a lot of expense involved in that. I'm still undecided and will more than likely not make a decision on it until after christmas.

That's what an interview was for back in the good old days. Employers are laughing now that they have young people working for free without question or complaint. I feel bad for the young person who does have a problem with this approach.

• Advertisement

I am getting nowhere fast with the traditional approach of applying for jobs though, that is the problem.

I have had my CV checked over by professionals several times and they said they believe it to be strong and well presented. I make a point of not applying for jobs that are out of reach and go for junior/entry level or graduate positions. Even doing this I get very few responses.

Anyway the whole point of this thread was to see what people think of internships and if they are worth it. Just though I would put it to boards to see what the opinions were.

Forget about the recruitment companies bro. They are not interestd if you have no exp as they cant make anything from you. Thats speaking from experience. As i have stated in another thread I would advise going direct to the companies yo0u want to work for and ask them to take you on. Sit down and tell them where you want to be in 6/9 months time. Thats what I did. Started two weeks ago. there will be shylocks out there that are looking for a teamaid but there are also genuine companies out there that can offer you genuine experince that will go towards gaining employment in the future.

What industry are you in if I may ask??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

If the company is serious about the internship they will give you a roadmap for your 9 months. If they want free labour they will not.

If you ask, they will know you are serious and want to progress.

If you dont ask, they will think you are a fool who is willing to work for free.

Most want free labour and if they dont have a roadmap it is probably not worth doing.

I am on one at the moment, a waste of time so lesson learnt.

I have heard mixed things about recruitment co's, but just unsure about how helpful they are.

I'm looking to get into digital marketing, the course I did focused alot on it and Ive worked with about half a dozen companies in it (through projects and volunteer work). So my ideal company would be an digi marketing agency or as a digi marketer in a company.

Oddly enough I am in similar industry. PM what kind of experience you are looking for and I will chat to a few here and see if they can recomend any comapnies in Dublin.

If you must talk to a recruitment company then I recomend Prosperity as they deal exclusively with all thigs Digital.

frAg

• Advertisement

Tidyweb wrote: »
    If the company is serious about the internship they will give you a roadmap for your 9 months. If they want free labour they will not.

If you ask, they will know you are serious and want to progress.

If you dont ask, they will think you are a fool who is willing to work for free.

Most want free labour and if they dont have a roadmap it is probably not worth doing.

I am on one at the moment, a waste of time so lesson learnt.

Good to know, sounds like it is a job in itself to find one that meets your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

I think you need to realise you are in a position of power.

You are qualified and willing to lend your services in return for some experince.

If they give you good experience you will work for them at the end of the internship and they wont have to pay you for your training/settling in period.

Any business that pretends to be doing you a big favour are chancers. Be careful which ever you pick you will be there 3 months before you can make a judgement call so make your descion carefully at the start.

PM Sent OP

Advertisement