Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new kitten

Options
  • 15-12-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

We got a new kitten last weekend and bless him he's finding it difficult to settle in.

He's crying a lot at night and I've reduced this by giving him a hot water bottle and a kitten teddy - all worked well, seems much happier

The newest problem I have is that last night he wouldnt use his litter tray and I was greeted this morning by a huge mess! I think this is caused by 2 things and looking for advice on them

1. We changed the litter tray yesterday for one with a lip to reduce the sand castle effect, he was fine with it all day but not last night
    2. I moved him and all his belongings into a bathroom last night as it was so cold - the room he has been in at night isn't heated as much

I'm concerned that its too many changes but I'm equally concerned with leaving him in the colder room at night, I don't want him to get sick but am I causing too much confusion moving him? He was previously in the bathroom but didnt seem to like it.

Any advice on how to help with this, we're making head way on the crying and loneliness thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

One thing that comes to mind is that kittens/cats will stop using a litter tray if they associate it with pain i.e. if they have a bladder infection or something similar. Have you had him checked over by a vet?

If he has used it already without issue, it is unusual for him to stop using it, unless you changed the litter itself.

Is the lip too high for kitty to get in and out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I havent got him checked, he was a the vet last week getting neutered so maybe this could be causing it? He was using it no problem at all and then last night not at all! Might bring him to the vet to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I dont mean to panic you or anything, it could be nothing at all. But yeah, I would head to the vet and get it checked to rule out a UTI or something similar.
    At least you will have that peace of mind then and can look at other less serious issues. Puppies for instance would be prone to having accidents and are not as easy to train. But most kittens train themselves, it is in their nature to pee, poop, and cover it as best as possible!

Give us an update, hope all goes well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

You may have just confused him by switching litter tray and room. I'm sure he's fine in the colder room, just give him a nice warm blanket. Cats like their routine, he may have made the mess from the distress of being shut in a different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I was thinking that too planetX - think I may just have to keep him in the colder room and see how that works, but worried he'll get sick being in there as it is quite cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please, give the wee one time to settle in? It takes time and patience and the worst thing is toilet training. It is like a child uprooted wetting the bed and it totally normal.

Of course he is lonely and lost.

Just time and gentleness and patience.

Rememebering one Siamese kitten we bought who leapt defiantly atop the kitchen counter and produced a large poo thereone.

Kittens will also mark their territory.

Advertisement