Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a change...

Options
  • 15-12-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Been smoking Bensons since I was 18...really enjoyed them until lately since they became EU compliant and have found Im not getting the same kick from them. Any suggestions for a new brand? Im not into rollies and I reckon Im too young for major. I'm not into lighter fags either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

mikey767 wrote: »
    Been smoking Bensons since I was 18...really enjoyed them until lately since they became EU compliant and have found Im not getting the same kick from them. Any suggestions for a new brand? Im not into rollies and I reckon Im too young for major. I'm not into lighter fags either.

red pall mall, i used to smoke them since i was 9, but switched to the polish pall mall not the same but i cant complain when im getting them at 3euro each, you can get the pall mall red for 7.60 i think there the best value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Never got into Bensons myself.

I tended to go for the 'Holy Trinity' brands of Irish smokers.

Namely Rothmans, Major or Carrolls.

Been going thru the Carrolls phase for quite a while now...

Never got into Bensons myself.

I tended to go for the 'Holy Trinity' brands of Irish smokers.

Namely Rothmans, Major or Carrolls.

Been going thru the Carrolls phase for quite a while now...

major aw jaysus makes me sick just thinking about them

major aw jaysus makes me sick just thinking about them

They were a very popular smoke in years gone by.

Thinking about it now, I can't name one person I know that smokes them anymore.

Most of my contemporaries seem to be buying from the Polish lads or have quit altogether.

Back in the day most tipped fags were either Regular or King Sized (Carrolls only went King Size about 15 years ago). 100mm or Superkings are relatively new.

Major was unique, in that they weren't either Regular or King Size. They were Extra Sized! Same length as Regular but thicker.

I still occasionally buy the odd pack when my usuals aren't available, or just for old times sake.:)

They were a very popular smoke in years gone by.

Thinking about it now, I can't name one person I know that smokes them anymore.

Most of my contemporaries seem to be buying from the Polish lads or have quit altogether.

Back in the day most tipped fags were either Regular or King Sized (Carrolls only went King Size about 15 years ago). 100mm or Superkings are relatively new.

Major was unique, in that they weren't either Regular or King Size. They were Extra Sized! Same length as Regular but thicker.

I still occasionally buy the odd pack when my usuals aren't available, or just for old times sake.:)

ya, But i was told that if you smoke 20 major one after another it will turn you off smokng. It made me puke fo 10 min straight. But never turned me off smoking.:( So now i just smoke pall mall red. :cool:

• Advertisement

ya, But i was told that if you smoke 20 major one after another it will turn you off smokng. It made me puke fo 10 min straight. But never turned me off smoking.:( So now i just smoke pall mall red. :cool:

I spose people nowadays see them as a strong ciggie & by today's standards, they probably are.

When they were launched, they were one of the first generation of tipped cigerattes that got widely popular.

Prior to this people were mainly smoking Plain Cigarettes (non-tipped), such as Players Navy Cut, Sweet Afton or Woodbines.

So, in their day, Major were probably seen as a 'healthy' alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Major where my ciggy of choice, 40 a day. Luvely stuff. Rothmans and Carrols the closest brand contenders and never came close to providing the same satisfaction. Had a French friend who smoked nontipped Gauloise and we would dare each other to smoke the others ciggies. :) Fun times.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I remember older relatives talking about Afton Majors.

I hadn't a clue what they were till recently.

Apparently Carrolls the maker of Sweet Afton wanted to give their customers a bit more 'bang for their buck' so they developed a bigger fag called Afton Major.

I found a pic of the packet on Wiki. It's a destinctive green colour.

I reckon these were the 'prototype' for the Major we see today.

I remember older relatives talking about Afton Majors.

I hadn't a clue what they were till recently.

Apparently Carrolls the maker of Sweet Afton wanted to give their customers a bit more 'bang for their buck' so they developed a bigger fag called Afton Major.

I found a pic of the packet on Wiki. It's a destinctive green colour.

I reckon these were the 'prototype' for the Major we see today.

Care to share it with us?

Care to share it with us?

I'm an old sod, so I'm unable to do links or pics.

Just look up Wiki & find cigarette brands. You should find it under brands for P J Carroll.

• Advertisement

I'm an old sod, so I'm unable to do links or pics.

Just look up Wiki & find cigarette brands. You should find it under brands for P J Carroll.

*gasp* dont say that abut yourself sir.

*gasp* dont say that abut yourself sir.
    :D

I just typed in Afton Major Cigarettes into Google images.

The image came up quickly, if you want to do a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Afton_major_01.jpg

Nailled it!

Edit Lord Lucan beat me to it!

Advertisement