Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas dinner wine

Options
  • 15-12-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

some suggestions for some decent wine to wash the turkey dinner with/sip away on Xmas day? Something that's easily sourced and reasonably priced ie under 20 quid I'm in charge of booze purchasing in my house
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi

As a widley available wine Faustino V might suit, would go nicely with the turkey and gravy but is also nice and mellow for post dinner sipping..I'd recomend decanitng it though..

Also it should be accetable to most people as it has had most of the harsh edges taken off by its cask and bottle aging...

If you are near a tesco there is a 2007 reserva from Muga, Rioja which is €19.99, lovely wine from a highly rated producer...needs decanting well before consumption...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Assumig the usual turkey/ham/roasties/stuffing etc I'd suggest Vacqueras, a Pinot Noir (red Sancerre is best for this) or a full Beaujolais Cru. A Valpollacella could be good too if you want a fuller wine. Big Spanish wines would overpower it, a elegant Bordeaux would be lost. Please don't settle for "deals" in chain stores, it's Christmas... buy a real wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Please don't settle for "deals" in chain stores, it's Christmas... buy a real wine!

Are you including franchises in that? I'm guessing no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

If you like a wine, drink it........label, shop or price doesn't matter. All thar matters is that you like it.

One i like with Christmas dinner is Tesco finest White Burgundy ( its half price at the moment i believe )

zac8 wrote: »
    Are you including franchises in that? I'm guessing no.

No of course not, I should have specified supermarkets (big and small) rather than chains. We're lucky in Ireland that we have some very good Off Licence chains and online sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 baniadam

If you like a wine, drink it........label, shop or price doesn't matter. All thar matters is that you like it.

One i like with Christmas dinner is Tesco finest White Burgundy ( its half price at the moment i believe )

good suggestion

baniadam wrote: »
    good suggestion

ah but not eveybody has seafood for Christmas dinner. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    ah but not eveybody has seafood for Christmas dinner. :rolleyes:

How would you rate it as an accompaniment for Carp?

How would you rate it as an accompaniment for Carp?

It would be alright but a Chablis or Aligote would be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

I forgot to mention that some whites might be good too...if you can track down a good sancerre or decent chablis they could be worth a go...don't shell out big bucks on '09/'10 though as decent ones benefit from a few years in bottle.

Also in some of the evil supermarkets run by accountants(:rolleyes:) there are some good new world sauv blancs or semillon, tesco stock Tim Adams semillon which is lovely...

• Advertisement

mikep wrote: »
    Also in some of the evil supermarkets run by accountants(:rolleyes:) there are some good new world sauv blancs or semillon ......

It happens. Sur' even a broken clock is right twice day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+1 for the suggestion to go to your local wine merchant or good online wine shop. If we don't support them they will disappear and we will be left with only supermarket muck.... and you won't get advice in a supermarket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Has to be either Pinot Noir or Bordeaux for x mas dinner in my house. Preferably pinot noir, really is the perfect match for turkey. Not always everyones taste but the New World Pinot's are a good start for someone who might be new to the grape, particularly NZ. Much more fruit forward than they're burgundy counterparts so should have broader appeal. you will pick up a very nice one for in an around the 20 euro mark in any good independent wine merchant. If it has been matured in new french oak all the better, will add an extra an extra dimension for the more experienced palate.

Advertisement