Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forest Golf Club

Options
  • 14-12-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Has anyone played this place recently, I hope to get a round in as I'm with the in laws up there at christmas. I imagine its soft after all the rain but how soft? Green fees of about 25 quid at christmas sound cheap but is it because its a bog or what.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

played there a couple of weeks back on a very wet day. it was squidgy in places (around 3-6) but generally fine, def not a bog....nice track in fact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played there on Dec 5th, near perfect is the word, soft around the 14th green and a small section in front of the 17th green but other than that no puddles or casual water anywhere and both tee boxes and greens fully open.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rodrigo

Thanks for that fellas, had expected it to be quite soft but based on your replies I'll probably give it a go sometime after xmas day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Hoping to head here today. just going to ring now. fingers crossd its not too wet and the rough is still cut back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How did you get on? How much was it?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    How did you get on? How much was it?
    Best round of golf i've played in years. 41 points.
    Course is in great condition but is slightly damp in spots. greens were hard and fast but it aasnt too hard stop the ball on them.

Had soup & a sandwich after which was lovely and friendly staff rounded off a greay day.

Round was €25

Forgot to mention, all tee boxes and greens are open

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rodrigo

"slightly damp in spots" Hmmm I'm not so sure I'd fully agree with you on that Charlie. I thought it was pretty bad in a lot of spots, some areas much worse than others. Its cleaning and placing in all areas, naturally for the time of the year and like most parkland courses I'm sure its a very good course during the summer months. Maybe I'm spoiled by the fact that I play in one of the north wests premier links courses thats genuinely slightly damp in spots

Well today there was no standing water anywhere but some of the spots where taffic was concentrated through one point was a bit muddy but were mainly between holes. Fairways were damp in spots but fine.

actually there is one problem with the course - the bunkers. I was lucky enough to avoid them for my full round but the lads hit a few and they were giving out stink about the lack of sand in them. They were also rock hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Has anybody played here recently?
    Thinking of playing there in the open singles on Friday.
    It's a bit if a drive so I would like it in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Played at New Forest about a month ago. Did not really care for the course. The tenth hole in particular stuck out as total ****. Downhill dogleg left with the entrance road running through the middle of the hole. No way to see if a car is coming, so either lay up or risk hitting a car.

The rough was knee high around the place, a shot 2 feet off the fairway might never be found. I know some times people care for that for a challenge, but I was just hoping for a nice round of golf.

I will say greens and fairways were in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Played at New Forest about a month ago. Did not really care for the course. The tenth hole in particular stuck out as total ****. Downhill dogleg left with the entrance road running through the middle of the hole. No way to see if a car is coming, so either lay up or risk hitting a car.

Agree with you on the 10th hole...I pulled a terrible 3 wood and thought ball was gone...turned up way down the road u speak of,not a good hole.
    Course was in good condition,greens were excellent,only 20 quid for the open,good value.
    Some lovely holes but I think it's a course you would need to play a few times..I could have left my driver in the car bar 1par 4.
    All in all enjoyed the course,well worth a visit.

Advertisement