Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H. Dip in Special School

Options
  • 14-12-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice if they've been in the same situation.
    I am teaching in a special school and am thinking of applying to do the dip year. However, I am not sure whether to do it or not because I'm not sure exactly what is expected.
    I have some children working on individual letters and others working towards junior cert.
    I know monthly and weekly plans are required but in a special school, all plans are individual and there wouldn't be a lot of progression from week to week.
    Would this be a problem??

Thanks for any advice or help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Best place to ask would be on educationposts.ie but I am reasonably sure you can't do a dip in special schools, as you would not be teaching irish. Am an old fogey though, so check on educationposts where all the young wans(!) are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ToonyLoon

Thanks byhookorbycrook. I may also post there. I know I can do the dip there but i'd also have to be inspected for irish whenever i get a job in a mainstream school. My problem is to know what inspectors would be looking for in the setting. After all, they aren't trained to look for notes on teaching junior cert, just as i amn't trained to teach that!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

I'm pretty sure you can do your dip in a special school.

Because you won't be teaching Irish you will get Restricted Recognition.

You will have to get one Dip visit for Irish once you are in a mainstream classroom

Advertisement