Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course do you recommend

• 14-12-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey,

I was wondering what courses were recommended for getting ahead in Web Development? I'm currently doing a lvl 6, web design/dev. At the end of it I'll have a decent grounding in xhtml,css and most design programmes but I want to further my education in the area.

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

A lot of the next steps depend on what area of web-dev you want to specialize in. I guess since you're on the Development forum, you have programming in mind, in which case Ruby, PHP, Javascript or Database skills will all be useful steps forward.

If you're more into the media/design side, it would definitely be worth your while learning more about flash, typography, graphic design...

Finally, a couple of very under-rated but useful skills are accessible web design, and search engine and social media optimizations. These are something that you can easily learn in your own time - install a screen reader and see how your site fares!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Mushaboom wrote: »
    Hey,

I was wondering what courses were recommended for getting ahead in Web Development? I'm currently doing a lvl 6, web design/dev. At the end of it I'll have a decent grounding in xhtml,css and most design programmes but I want to further my education in the area.

Thanks
    M
    Depending on your area, have a look around at some of the emerging sites. Are you planning to do it for other businesses or as your own startup website. If so, look at the languages/ frameworks the "web 2.0" ones use. Ruby on Rails has become very popular in the past few years. Some of this can be self taught, but scrutinise the courses very carefully. They're all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bundaegi

If you're interested in continuing your 'formal' education and progressing from level 6 to 7/8 you could apply for direct entry to another course when you've finished the one you're currently completing. Your level 6 qualification may allow you to enter year 2, 3 or 4 of another programme.

There are a number of programmes in various 3rd level institutions with a focus on web development that you may be interested in. For example, the BSc (Honours) in Computing Multimedia Systems/ Web Engineering in IADT.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mushaboom

Are you planning to do it for other businesses or as your own startup website. QUOTE]

thanks, I'm planning on setting up my own business. My problem is that I'm not a teenageer, fresh from school looking to explore, I know what I want pretty much and I find a lot of the lvl 7/8 courses are too broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

bundaegi wrote: »
    If you're interested in continuing your 'formal' education and progressing from level 6 to 7/8 you could apply for direct entry to another course when you've finished the one you're currently completing. Your level 6 qualification may allow you to enter year 2, 3 or 4 of another programme.

There are a number of programmes in various 3rd level institutions with a focus on web development that you may be interested in. For example, the BSc (Honours) in Computing Multimedia Systems/ Web Engineering in IADT.

I did that course, have the degree. If you know specifically what are you want to work in, then PM/reply and I can advise you. A few people were disappointed with that course because they had wrong impressions of what it would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement