Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone recommend what food to upgrade my boxer to

Options
  • 14-12-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

as above my boxer is now 19 months old and at the moment he is on the select gold junior, i have being told to keep him on it till hes just about 2 years old but the last few weeks he has gone off it and has dropped a small bit of weight, now he will eat it but not as much as he use to, can anyone help me out here with a recommendation on what to put him on

Thanks

Danny ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could there be another reason he's not eating as much as loosing weight or do you think he's just gotten used to that taste and is getting a bit tired of it?

Any good quality food is fine, I know there are specific foods for specific dog breeds and all that but something like Royal canin, or Burns or any holisitc type food or even perhaps look in to the Raw diet. I use Burns with mine they all love the taste there's a few different flavours to choose from so they don't get tired of it..saying that mine are savages anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

Could there be another reason he's not eating as much as loosing weight or do you think he's just gotten used to that taste and is getting a bit tired of it?

Any good quality food is fine, I know there are specific foods for specific dog breeds and all that but something like Royal canin, or Burns or any holisitc type food or even perhaps look in to the Raw diet. I use Burns with mine they all love the taste there's a few different flavours to choose from so they don't get tired of it..saying that mine are savages anyway.

Definitely agree with the fresh food recommendation! Have a read of the "Orijen dog food" thread. Four pages of everyone's "best food" tips, lot of talk on fresh food. Boxers are notorious for food issues, allergies etc. They are a sensitive breed with sensitive gut linings. They benefit enormously from fresh, hypoallergenic food as the awesomely named Sigma Force mentions above. Raw meat especially.

You need to start them off slowly on this, little bit each day. While trying that definitely take SF's advice on hypoallergenic food, which is a food free of antigens - definitely gluten (wheat, barley and rye), chemical additives, and I would recommend cooked protein (this is the dog that is allergic to "beef" or "chicken", like a cow being allergic to grass! What is actually is the dog being sensitised to an unusual protein, as with cooked denatured meat.

Include lots of oily fish as much as possible (mackerel, herring, tins of sardines), great for coat and skin and will entice him to gobble up his dinner.

Best of luck.

Advertisement