Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

Options
  • 14-12-2011 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on this form of counselling. For the past three months, I've been feeling unwell, have no energy and suffer from general lethargy. I had a full physical check up which showed nothing out of order. So my GP has suggested I see a CBT counsellor as he feels my problems might be psychological instead of physical. This is the first time I'd heard of CBT (just spent an hour researching it online) and I'd like some advice if it is worthwhile, especially as I do not have a surplus of money to hand out at the moment. I live in north Kildare and my GP recommended a guy based in Celbridge but I'd like to go to the "right" Counsellor first time instead of hopping from one to another and thus wasting money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I did CBT for about 2 years. I found it very helpful. One thing I will say about it, however, is that you might need to get "boosters" because you forget some of the things they teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

CBT is used to help ppl with anxiety disorders, depression, low self esteem etc. but you can also use it in so many other ways on a day to day basis. i really think everyone should be thought it in school or something. i learned it last year and it did help in a big way however you gotta learn it properly, so it becomes 2nd nature to you.

CBT will work if u put in the effort, if you dont, then it will not. practice, practice and more practice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

my GP recommended a guy based in Celbridge but I'd like to go to the "right" Counsellor first time instead of hopping from one to another and thus wasting money.

You might find the Sticky on Finding a Counsellor useful; here's a post dealing (in part) with finding reputable and accredited CBT therapists.

Advertisement