Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulled wine recipe?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 11:26pm

Hey all, looking for an easy to make mulled wine recipe. Not neccesarily sachets, but I'm not against using them if they're good!

I saw this but it looks like it'll take a lot of time and I'll only have between six and eight o'clock tomorrow to make it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Funny I was just looking into this.
    Jamie Oliver and the Hairy Bikers have some insanely easy recipes, but I think this one on the River Cottage website looks the best. It says ready in 5 minutes; might give it a go tomorrow myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Two bottles of red wine such as pinot noir or syrah/shiraz
    A stick or two of cinnamon
    A star anise
    The juice of 2 oranges
    A half a small glass each of brandy & rum
    10 whole cloves
    100g of sugar (more to taste depending on size/acidity of oranges)

Bung the lot in a pot & simmer for 30 mins (but do not boil).

Alternatively - a couple of bottles of Lidl Gluhwein with extra OJ, brandy &/or rum & sugar to taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm a great fan of adding the contents of a vanilla pod or two.

Also, consider adding a dash of port for a little extra kick instead of brandy or rum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If you stud the oranges with cloves and pop them in a hot oven for about 10 minutes it really adds to the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I would boil the sugar, fruit peels and chosen spices first for a good hour to make a thick syrup then add the wine and be careful not to boil after this point or you will burn the alcohol off. Then you'd be drinking fruit juice and what's the point :-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I used this recipe before and its yum and very simple!:)

http://www.greatfood.ie/item_display.asp?cde=6&id=921

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

This recipe is pretty good by Jamie Oliver. It plays after 28 minutes in the video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Q_BOtnma8

Advertisement