Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sound/vibration

Options
  • 13-12-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

If a truck is in the distance and thundering along and if its far enough that you're not sure,
    are you hearing it, or are you just sensing the vibrations?/
    I can often tell that the bus is coming because of the low rumble but can i hear it more than others because my ears can hear the lower end of the spectrum, like the way younger people can hear the high pitched noise that tesco emit to stop loitering.
    obviously a passing car is sound, but distant?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You might be hearing it. But the lower end of the frequency you feel.

Your house may be resonating with the rumble from the trucks. I lived in a house like that before. It wasn't that near the road, but often a passing truck would cause the house to shake and the windows to vibrate.

You can often feel sub sonics in your gut. There's a story that Hitler, before his speeches, would have a very low frequency tone played through speakers. This would make the audience uncomfortable - when he would make his entrance the tone would be stopped, and everyone would feel relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

There's a story that Hitler, before his speeches, would have a very low frequency tone played through speakers. This would make the audience uncomfortable - when he would make his entrance the tone would be stopped, and everyone would feel relief.[/QUOTE]

thats such a good idea. too bad he was evil.
    yeah that makes more sense. didnt think about the vibrations on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

There is some kind of primeval wisdom in this.
    Say for instance that a herd of hairy mammoths were charging at you behind your back, then the instinctive reponse to GTFO at the sound would be a survival strategy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

There is some kind of primeval wisdom in this.
    Say for instance that a herd of hairy mammoths were charging at you behind your back, then the instinctive reponse to GTFO at the sound would be a survival strategy.

It's said. Horses, dogs, chickens, etc - farm yard animals. Go crazy just before an earthquake.

Which could have truth to it. As from the graph below. Earthquakes start with a very low frequency wave, minutes before the high amplitude shaker hits.

seismogram.jpg

Or if you're a worm, you better know what a mole coming through the ground sounds like. Or you're lunch.

Advertisement