Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel cough :(

Options
  • 13-12-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hey

I rescued a staffie cross and the poor thing has got kennel cough. Honey and benilyn cough medicine isnt kicking it so very worried about her. So sad to see. Thanks god my husky is vaccinated and would HIGHLY recommend doing so because its the worst thing to see a dog so miserable.

So How much is it for the antibiotics for Kennels cough??? Bringing her tomorrow to vet and just wondering so i can be prepared.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

it's a virus so there's no point getting antibiotics. My pup had a bad dose but got over it by himself in a few weeks. From what I read and from phoning the vet, there's no treatment except if secondary chest infection occurs. You should let the vet know in advance before you go in in case they don't want you sitting in the waiting room infecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Kennel cough can lead to secondary infection (mainly lower respiratory tract... ie. a chest infection) so going to the vet is the best option to make sure your dog is ok. Kennel cough itself is a matter of letting the immune system take over and sort it. Def let them know in advance that it's KC, and when you go wait in the car as opposed to the waiting room - it's very contagious and you don't want to spread it to other doggies!

If your dog needs antibiotics, they won't be too expensive. It'll just be a standard course.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Yeah, its definitely in her chest now. You can tell by her breeding. I will let them know before we go, its an awful infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Just wondering do people get the kennel cough vacc for their dogs even if your dog is not in a kennel during the year?

I do.

(Some years my dogs would be in kennels for a while - other years they are not. So when I am getting the boosters, I also get the KC vacc just to be on the safe side.)

One of the vets in my practice told me that my dog could get kennel cough if say we were walking in a public place - if another dog passed by & he had kennel cough, that dog could transmit it to mine.

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Hey

I rescued a staffie cross and the poor thing has got kennel cough. Honey and benilyn cough medicine isnt kicking it so very worried about her. So sad to see. Thanks god my husky is vaccinated and would HIGHLY recommend doing so because its the worst thing to see a dog so miserable.

So How much is it for the antibiotics for Kennels cough??? Bringing her tomorrow to vet and just wondering so i can be prepared.

Thanks
    did you rescue dog from registered rescue centre? if so dog should be up too date with all vac`s and kennel cough etc, or did you do a good dead and take dog from a non registered dog lover compound?? if your dogs first time too vet and has possible kennel cough and more price will vary...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

paultf wrote: »
    Just wondering do people get the kennel cough vacc for their dogs even if your dog is not in a kennel during the year?

I do.

(Some years my dogs would be in kennels for a while - other years they are not. So when I am getting the boosters, I also get the KC vacc just to be on the safe side.)

One of the vets in my practice told me that my dog could get kennel cough if say we were walking in a public place - if another dog passed by & he had kennel cough, that dog could transmit it to mine.

What do you think?

All of mine routinely get the KC booster, but its not effective against all strains, so its not a guarantee that they still won't get it.

Yes, the name Kennel cough can be confusing, dogs can pick it up anywhere that other dogs go, just like us and colds or flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

the 1st and last time i put my dogs into kennels, even though i got them vac for kennel cough they all came home with it. 4 dogs at €40 a go was a complete waste of money. 2 of mine also needed meds. will never waste my money on it again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can double check with your vet but I had one dog in at the vets last year luckily it wasn't KC he'd just had his vaccination and I was worried he'd had a reaction. The vet said that they sometimes recommend Karvol for dogs with kennel cough. It's a capsule for babies and children (our young one always gets colds and sinus etc and it works really well) what you could do is steam up the bathroom, have the bath or shower (or both if they are seperate) running with piping hot water in and squeeze the capsule into the bath (or a basin if you only have a shower) and keep the dog in the room and let the dog inhale the steam. Actually even if you don't use the Karvol a steamy room could help.

You could instead put some Karvol on a dry facecloth and then hang the facecloth near but out of reach of where the dog is sleeping.

Keep going with the honey anyway, it won't do any harm and give the dog a boost of energy as well as soothing the throat. Try a really smooth local or organic honey if possible. You could slightly warm the honey if it's a bit stick just by sitting the jar in a bowl of warm water to make it a little runnier so it will coat the dogs throat. Plenty of water available as well.

Hope the poor starts feeling better soon and the vet can give you something to help relieve the wheezing. A bit of smooth plain bio yogurt might help cool the throat as well.

Advertisement