Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are ex-gratia payments calculated for Animal Welfare Societies???

Options
  • 13-12-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know on what basis the ex-gratia payments are calculated each year for Animal Welfare Societies?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Dunno is the short answer but I do know it has been a source of some , ahem , shall we say ... friction / envy in times past.
    Are these payments still made ? I would love to think they are but I presumed that had died a death with our economic collapse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Applications had to be handed in by early September, usually the grant is paid by mid December but nothing yet that I know of. Inspections have been carried out, so I am hoping the grant will be paid again this year.

I have no idea how it is calculated, OP needs to ask the Department of Agri that.

Delighted to hear the scheme still operates - one of the better uses of taxpayers money I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It seems to me that it's calculated on the roulette wheel system :rolleyes: I go through it every year, and am astonished at some groups getting so little compared to the work they do and some get a massive money when it could go to better use elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The list is here:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/fundingtoanimalwelfareorganisations/

Application forms are here:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/

However I have never seen any guidelines as to what parameters are used in deciding who gets what & the form contains an ominous warning:

"This Department does not operate specific schemes of financial assistance for animal welfare bodies but has in the past provided ex-gratia funding to organisations involved in the delivery of animal care and welfare services. Provision of funding in 2011 is subject to the availability of funds at the year end, accordingly, submission of this application form should not be construed as an indication that funding will be provided."

Discodog wrote: »
    The list is here:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/fundingtoanimalwelfareorganisations/

Application forms are here:

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/

However I have never seen any guidelines as to what parameters are used in deciding who gets what & the form contains an ominous warning:

"This Department does not operate specific schemes of financial assistance for animal welfare bodies but has in the past provided ex-gratia funding to organisations involved in the delivery of animal care and welfare services. Provision of funding in 2011 is subject to the availability of funds at the year end, accordingly, submission of this application form should not be construed as an indication that funding will be provided."

Pretty standard disclaimer that I think was given even in the good years. Hopefully there will be payments again - a great scheme.

Rescues who got quite a bit the year before got dropped from the list without an explanation and despite having passed the inspections. I have no idea why or how or what :confused:.

I just take whatever EGAR is allocated, am grateful and RUN ;).

We will see if we get something this year and I will post once we know yes or no.

@Delancey, yes that disclaimer was always present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

EGAR wrote: »

Wonder who that helpline will be manned by? :confused: First I'v heard about it.

The list of grants is interesting, 6 organisations listed in sligo yet there's 1 that I'v never heard of before, 2 of which I have seen the name listed on a few websites as animal welfare organisations I can never get any more info on them or have never seen any of the work they do, at least the other 3 are well known. Same really goes for most of the list, there's a lot on it that I'v never heard of and a few of the more well known rescues either aren't listed or got a very small amount. Least it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moses13

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Wonder who that helpline will be manned by? :confused: First I'v heard about it.

The list of grants is interesting, 6 organisations listed in sligo yet there's 1 that I'v never heard of before, 2 of which I have seen the name listed on a few websites as animal welfare organisations I can never get any more info on them or have never seen any of the work they do, at least the other 3 are well known. Same really goes for most of the list, there's a lot on it that I'v never heard of and a few of the more well known rescues either aren't listed or got a very small amount. Least it's better than nothing.

Zapperzy I have looked at the sligo grants. Sathya Sai is the donkey sanctuary at Castlebaldwin, Sligo Animal Rescue are doing the bulk of the work for the Sligo area, Sligo dog services I take to be the dog warden services in Drumcliffe, The Animal trust fund Is Olive McKinley in Ballinacarrow (not sure what she does as she is in her late 80's)! but as for homecheckers I have never heard of them and I have been involved in rescue in this area for over 11 years! Maybe someone can tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just a gentle reminder -

No discussion of the activities of specific rescues, if you want to know what they do - contact them and ask them

With all the cuts these days I think its brilliant that this funding is still available , doubtless some rescues may be disappointed with their allocation but it IS a recognition by the State of the work they perform.

It would be so easy for someone to kill off this scheme with the stroke of a pen - probably someone in the Department has fought to keep this scheme alive.

Would I be correct in saying that the bulk of these funds will probably be used to pay Veterinary bills ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yeah its better than nothing alright but I think the moral of the story is that rescues should add SPCA to their name.....

Yeah its better than nothing alright but I think the moral of the story is that rescues should add SPCA to their name.....

Hmmmm , now that is an interesting point....

Advertisement