Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering braces for the second time

Options
  • 13-12-2011 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Growing up I had very crooked teeth and as a result ended up with train track for a few years. Being a teenager when I was relieved of them and saddled with the responsibility of wearing a retainer at night, i rather foolishly just didn't do it. I used to wake up in the morning and find that I had taken it out in my sleep so I started to wear it less and less and then eventually not at all.

Fast forward a decade (or so...) and my teeth are horribly crooked all over again. Not as bad as when I was a child but I just noticed over the last year that they've shifted a lot and the front two have become a lot more prominent all over again.

I'm considering getting braces again (though I actually still have a bar behind my bottom teeth and little yolk behind my top two front teeth) but I'm a bit afraid to go back to my old orthodontist. Firstly because I'm a bit afraid of the lecture I'm due. Secondly because I hear he doesn't approve of clear braces or six month braces or any of that and I really can't face going back to train tracks!

Any advice is welcome though I'm fairly certain I'm about to be met with a barrage of "don't be such a baby, go back to your old orthodontist and see what he says"...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

sorry to hear about the relapse but it is inevitable if you dont wear retainers. You say that there is still a wire inside your teeth so unless it is broken they cannot have moved too far.

I know you dont want to but the best person to see is your original orthodontist. If you need re-treatment they probably wont charge you a full fee to do it. Their attitude to white braces or alternatives may have changed over the years

If you cannot tolerate traintracks again you can consider Incognito lingual braces or Invisalign, all of which will look better but will cost you more.

6 month braces are just traintracks put on for 6 months so there is nothing special about them.

If you dont want to go to the original orthodontist look uo www.orthodontics.ie and pick someone that suits you.

Good luck and it will not be as bad as you think!

Advertisement