Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Ad: No one beats us on price, that's our promise!

Options
  • 13-12-2011 5:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Food%20&%20Grocery%20landing%20page%20banner2.jpg

Observed this on the DunnesStores website yesterday.
    What does this tagline mean to you?
    Does it imply that this outlet has the lowest grocery prices bar none? Does the word promise mean anything?

Is it correct to say that nobody beats us on price when we all know Dunnes retail some food products at a higher price than say Aldi or Tesco.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

To me its meaningless marketing waffle. Just like...
    new & improved
    fresh
    state of the art
    quality
    premium
    fresh

I remember the idiots complaining about tescos "change for good" slogan, as though it was a legally binding statement that they would never, EVER raise prices again :rolleyes:

If it was some deal/offer they would have a star after it stating the terms & conditions. Like the odd shop who really do match prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Talking of slogans, what the hell does Supervalu's 'Real food Real people' mean?

Real food as opposed to fake food? wtf? Who came up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Register a complaint with the ASAI if you feel that the ad is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Talking of slogans, what the hell does Supervalu's 'Real food Real people' mean?

Real food as opposed to fake food? wtf? Who came up with that?

'Real food Real people'

Maybe it means they refuse to serve fake, pretend, made-up people?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Real people
    "real" is usually the marketing peoples term for overweight/obese, for women anyway. I have never heard an obese man described as a "real man" yet, but "real women" is used a lot, which could be seen as derogatory to women of "ideal" weight or who are underweight.

Perhaps in a few years people will get a slap for calling a woman "real"! Just like spastic became derogatory, I remember having spastic stamps on christmas present decorations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

of more significance is their "Permanent Price Cuts", I can't see them keeping products the same price for years and years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought of the 'Change for Good' too when I heard Super Valu adds saying 'Permenant price cuts' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Probably only applies to the items in the photo. You may be sure you will not get a refund or the price difference if you find it cheaper elsewhere anyway. I think they are really only comparing themselves to Tesco and Supervalu though- they are the ones they keep track of. It goes without saying they're cheaper than Superquinn and they don't stock the exact same products (branding wise) as Lidl, Aldi or M&S so none of those count really.

I don't recall ever hearing 'permanent' though in any promotion. They're careful about that- the 'new lower price' drapery promotion which covered hundreds of products beginning in 2008 are all back at their original price now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No one beats us on price tagline now removed from website. Go figure :cool:

Advertisement