Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved House & Collie Wont Settle

Options
  • 13-12-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Moved house recently after 3.5years with our 7 year old collie mix. In the last house she had her kennel and her viewing points of the house & garden which were fairly sheltered from the weather. She lives outdoors all year round.

We brought her kennel to the new place which had less landscaping / shelter but she wont use it & insists on sitting outside the house exposed in the wind & rain looking inside and wont find shelter. Any tips on how to get her into the kennel or a sheltered spot as its gonna be a long winter otherwise; otherwise she is pretty happy in the new place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Moved house recently after 3.5years with our 7 year old collie mix. In the last house she had her kennel and her viewing points of the house & garden which were fairly sheltered from the weather. She lives outdoors all year round.

We brought her kennel to the new place which had less landscaping / shelter but she wont use it & insists on sitting outside the house exposed in the wind & rain looking inside and wont find shelter. Any tips on how to get her into the kennel or a sheltered spot as its gonna be a long winter otherwise; otherwise she is pretty happy in the new place

You mean she is looking into the house? Maybe time to think of letting her in, at night at least.

We took a collie in who had been largely outside, and gradually brought her into the house. First the back porch, where she would sweep any leaves etc into a corner neatly, then into the kitchen etc.

We feel she is safer thus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She's lonley and feeling insecure in the new place. Maybe bring the kennel near the backdoor or bring her in to the house. Or maybe think of getting her a doggy companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

She's lonley and feeling insecure in the new place. Maybe bring the kennel near the backdoor or bring her in to the house. Or maybe think of getting her a doggy companion.

Amen to this. Just run the dogs in the snowy field and there is always a dog howling and barking a way away; probably chained up outside. Nothing I can do and it breaks the heart.

Dogs are such social animals. They need company.

When I come in from market I get bowled over; so glad to see me. And there are two of them.

Advertisement