Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice or recommendations relating to Sports (Darts) Psychology?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 3:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a darts player and anyone who knows the sport will also know the huge amount of mental strength that's required to be a success. I have been playing the sport for 3 years now and I have been improving rapidly when it comes to practice at home but I struggle in matches due to two things; nerves and self doubt when it comes to hitting a double.

I am one of the growing number of players who don't have a drink to control the nerves before a game and I have no intention do so. I suffer incredibly with nerves though, even when I'm playinga player I know I should beat. I just can't control them and as a result my hand shakes which seriously affects my game, particularly when going for the final double. This brings me onto my next problem, self dount over finishing a leg. One week I could hit every double I go for and the next I will ht nothing and it starts to play on my mind. I just lack the mental strength, self-confidence or whatever is needed to hit it!

Can anyone here offer any advice or point me to any sports psychology books that could help me become mentally stronger and overcome my problems?

Sorry for the long post but I hope it's an interesting topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Prof Aidan Moran from UCD is our country's sports psychology expert, here is one of his books which is practical (I haven't read it, but it has good reviews):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Sport-Practical-Psychology/dp/0415395585/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323786370&sr=8-1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Cheers for that, I'll have a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You could try hypnosis.

But call around to and see if you can get a hypnotist, who might help you with that kind of thing. I have a feeling some hypnotists aren't really that good.

My experience with hypnosis.

I went to a hypnotist years ago, to help stop smoking. (I was also about to go on a flight - I wasn't really nervous about the flight)

He spent about three hours with me. He was very honest, and he said he didn't think his work would have much impact on my smoking. But what he did do - as part of the whole thing was a little thing on my upcoming trip.

The session didn't stop me smoking. But the weirdest thing - and I didn't realise at first what it was, if I step into an airport, I automatically become super calm and serene. My breathing slows, my heart slows, and I feel really relaxed. That guy was very expensive.

I think if you found the right guy, and it worked for you - it might be the thing you're looking for.

I'd love to hear if it worked for you.

Or anyone else's similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Might be useful to talk with a sports psychologist, who might be able to recommend specific techniques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 psych_chick

have you ever considered yoga? I teach yoga specifically for sports athletes & the feedback with regard to controlling emotions, calming nerves and quietening the mind is astonishing. pm me if you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement