Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard drive HELP!

Options
  • 13-12-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an external hard drive went to plug it in this morning and it only shows up as a local disk and I cant get into it. It says it needs to reformat and parameters are wrong. If I reformat I lose all my data right? I looked up a few things online and nothing I did seems to help.

Its a Buffalo- Just Store Portable (500 gb)

Can someone please help me:( Is the best thing I can do just reformat it or should I just return it and get a new one in the shop it is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Can you post up a screenshot of the the disk management screen?

You can get to it by typing it into the search bar on the start menu (win7) or control panel on XP- admin tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

Here is the screenshot

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westcoast1

Looks like the hard drive isn't formatted so theres no data on it at all im afraid. try reformatting it yes and see how it works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This can happen if you unplug removable media without using safely remove hardware. You may be able to get the files back off the disk, take a look at TestDisk and PhotoREC and see if you get anywhere

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Hi,

Rather than starting a new thread, thought i could use this one.

I have an external hard drive, manufacturer's name is Freecom. There is no model number. When I plugged it into my laptop today it is not registering on the machine at all. The USB port is working and the drive was working on this machine a couple of days ago.

The external drive has its own power source. It is plugged in and the drive is warm, so I presume it is receiving power.

Oh, and it belongs to a work colleague, so I would feel really bad if something is wrong with it.
    Please, somebody tell me that there's an easy fix....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Firblog

From what you've said I think the electroics on the drive have failed, I'd be fairly hopeful that the data on the disk and the disk itself are ok, but you'd need to put it into a new caddy to get all working again.

Advertisement