Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting a 2 adult + Student VHI policy into 3

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Looking at the current plan which is plan C.

Other than moving from an excess of 200 per member on the current policy to 300 per person on the individual policies, I wonder are there any other pitfalls in such a move.

The student one wont change but it gives the option of keeping plan c for herself and downsizing me to plan b

Thanks [ the 2 are below, hopefully
    http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison/search-result/71-67

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Dont policy thresholds apply for outpatient expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Hi Carlow52, you would be moving from a private room to a semi private room in a private hospital from plan c to plan b. There are cheaper plans even corporate plans depending on your attitude to having to pay a shortfall for certain orthopaedic or opthalmic procedures in a private or high tech hospital and/or paying an excess for inpatient stays. What age is the student ? Aviva cover students at age 21 and 22. Be aware though that there can be upto a 2 year waiting period (depending on age) to go back up from plan b to plan c for all VHI plans with effect from January 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hello Carlow 52,
    Don't move to lower hospital cover for the adults as you may need the higher cover due to your age. The student could have lower cover. I know you are looking to save some money. I put in the name of the vhi cover you have on the hia.ie website to see what other policies are available with similar cover.
    Quinn Company Care Premium No Excess has very similar cover to what you have. You can also claim back more for gp and consultant visit than you present cover as there is a €1 excess per family against €200 excess with vhi (you have to have 9 consultant visits before you can claim with VHI as they only allow €51 cost for a consultant visit which could cost you €120 plus)
    This cover costs €1250 per adult and €364.08 for the student.
    I would ring Quinn and tell them you have plan c with vhi for x period and you need to know what waiting period would you have for hospital cover if you were to move to them. You should ask when could the adults claim for gp visits ect & when could the student claim on this also.

Advertisement