Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good economic simulation/strategy game

Options
  • 13-12-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good one, haven't played one in forever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Victoria II, really really steep learning curve though
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/42960/

You'll pick it up at a fraction of that price during xmas sales on steam

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

HEARTS OF IRON series is meant to be in depth

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheSheepz

HEARTS OF IRON series is meant to be in depth
    Hearts of Iron is Victoria 2 on difficulty steroids. Better off starting with EU3/Victoria 2 until you get it all figured out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

TheSheepz wrote: »
    Hearts of Iron is Victoria 2 on difficulty steroids. Better off starting with EU3/Victoria 2 until you get it all figured out.

haha serious? its tougher to get into is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

jesus, hearts of iron was bad enough.

I might try that for the sheer challenge of figuring it out

EDIT: Ah got it backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

A bit old, but M.U.L.E. is pretty interesting. If you get the original you'll have to use an Atari simulator to play it. You wouldn't get it in shops though...

Is there any business type simulator games around?where you run a business and have to see after paying the staff etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Is there any business type simulator games around?where you run a business and have to see after paying the staff etc etc

Well Capitalism was a kind of high level one, not that much into micro detail like paying individual staff members. It's a pretty damn old game though, think Windows 95.

Linkies: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/capitalism_2

Actually, didn't realise it had been updated to work with Windows 7. Might have to pick it up when I get my wages this month.

Have a look on GG, they have a huge selection of Sim games
    http://www.gamersgate.com/simulator?prio=title&pg=1

Theres a Capitalism II
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CAP2/capitalism-ii?caff=350301

Thanks lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

Cites XL is economic based kinda

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cites XL is economic based kinda

Every time that goes on sale on Steam I get tempted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nesf wrote: »
    Every time that goes on sale on Steam I get tempted.

I wouldn't bother. They've been rehashing the same game for the last 5 years and haven't changed some stupid issues with it. They've just been adding content. Paying full price every year for what is essentially DLC is just highway robbery.

nesf you could have a go at Port Royale 1/2, both decent games. Also Caesar IV is a very good game when you get into it.

Enderman wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother. They've been rehashing the same game for the last 5 years and haven't changed some stupid issues with it. They've just been adding content. Paying full price every year for what is essentially DLC is just highway robbery.

nesf you could have a go at Port Royale 1/2, both decent games. Also Caesar IV is a very good game when you get into it.

Very true it has terrible memory leak problems.

The Patrician 4 or maybe the guild 2 renaissance are economic based.

nesf you could have a go at Port Royale 1/2, both decent games.

was reading a review on port royale 2,sounds very interesting

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

was reading a review on port royale 2,sounds very interesting

Excellent game. Don't let the isometric graphics catch you out though, its one of the smoothest animated isometric games ever made. And its completely bug free :D

EDIT: I've just been informed its 3.99 on Steam. Done :P Missing my disc, only have an empty box. Bargain!

PC gamer says Port Royale 3 will be out in the summer too

Excellent game. Don't let the isometric graphics catch you out though, its one of the smoothest animated isometric games ever made. And its completely bug free :D

EDIT: I've just been informed its 3.99 on Steam. Done :P Missing my disc, only have an empty box. Bargain!

Oh I must get it!

• Site Banned Posts: 9 wololo

Definitely a fan of paradox games including the Hoi and Victoria series, I think the resource management is very good in HoI but the economy building and political system is far superior in Victoria II in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement