Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decisions, Decisions

Options
  • 13-12-2011 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I did an LCA last year and received a Distinction, I am currently doing a FETAC Level 5 course called small animal care. I would ultimately like to be a Vet, I know most people think that it will not be possible to be a Vet with my LCA but I would like to try, I don't want to be one of those people who at 40 regrets not doing it.

I am now considering going back and doing the LC as I think this would be easier, I would most likely go to a VTOS centre and then try and apply straight into UCD and a number of colleges outside of Ireland. If I did this would the results from my PLC stand to me when applying straight to the CAO.

I would prefer to keep on going with college but have been told time and time again that I will not be even looked at because of my LCA even if I meet all the criteria. I love my LCA and am damn proud of it but if it is going to hinder my progression what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

You could see if your plc would be accepted for entry to science degree, then you'd need to get an honours science degree over 4 years, probably get first class honours to try to get into graduate entry vet med in ucd which also had the gamsat entry test on it.

If you repeat the lc you're looking at having to try get 6 As at hons level, that isnt going to happen realistically. 99% of the population couldn't do that. If your plc isn't accepted for entry to a science degree then repeating the lc is probably your only option.

Going to study in eastern europe is a HUGE move and costly. You really need to know that you have the aptitude for the level of academic work required for vet med because people who get 580 points in the leaving cert fail exams in vet med.

I think the science and grad entry route is your only possible option. At that rate your next move is to talk to your plc colleges guidance counselor about what science courses your plc would be accepted for. You should probably try to get one with a lot of chemistry and biology in it.

Advertisement