Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car was fine until service last week?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I brought my car to the garage for a general service and nct check last wednesday as nct was due last month. Picked the car (2005 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tdi)
    up that evening, drove to work and back the following day, car felt good. The following morning on the way to work, things went wrong. The steering went very heavy(could barely turn the wheel), abs and traction control lights flashing intermittently. Had the car brought back to the same garage where he checked it out. Was told it was the battery that was shagged so new battery put in at cost 100 euro. Drove the car home and hadn't even travelled 1km when same problem occurred (heavy steering, this time battery not charging indicator came on). So I turned around (with difficulty) and went straight back to the garage where he is now checking the alternator etc

Basically I'm wondering why this happened immediately after the servicing of a well running car? And what I should be expecting from the mechanic now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Co-incidence, I would say.

There wouldn't normally be anything done in a service that would cause your alternator to go.

Perhaps your mechanic should have checked it before binning your battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

Lambasted wrote: »
    I brought my car to the garage for a general service and nct check last wednesday as nct was due last month. Picked the car (2005 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tdi)
    up that evening, drove to work and back the following day, car felt good. The following morning on the way to work, things went wrong. The steering went very heavy(could barely turn the wheel), abs and traction control lights flashing intermittently. Had the car brought back to the same garage where he checked it out. Was told it was the battery that was shagged so new battery put in at cost 100 euro. Drove the car home and hadn't even travelled 1km when same problem occurred (heavy steering, this time battery not charging indicator came on). So I turned around (with difficulty) and went straight back to the garage where he is now checking the alternator etc

Basically I'm wondering why this happened immediately after the servicing of a well running car? And what I should be expecting from the mechanic now?

Sounds like a miss diagnosis to me changed the battery when in fact he should of changed the altenator.bad mistake.although think of it the other way now u will have a good battery and a overhauled altenator to see ya try another couple of years.as for the garage on a service they wouldn't have any reason to check them apart from mayb checking the looking glass on the batt to make sure it was shown good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Alternator failure would match your symptoms and is very common on this model.

Probably a co-incidence. It may well fail again in the future, it tends to run hot due to lack of cooling airflow where its located.

The part in the alternator that has most likely failed is usually replaced with an upgraded one but its no guarantee it won't go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

First really cold spell every year, many thousands of batteries fail. Modern (replacement) batteries in a modern car with all the electronics seem to last just 4 years in my experience; OEM batteries 6-8 years.

In a car that age you are gonna get problems. The service you got, the mechanic probably never looked at anything electrical.

Probably a coincidence. Bummer. Hopefully won't cost you too much. Maybe alternator/regulator. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

If your steering was heavy too, would that not point to a belt problem or drive belt tensioner? Check that drive belt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

SilverBell wrote: »
    If your steering was heavy too, would that not point to a belt problem or drive belt tensioner? Check that drive belt.

AFAIK its electric power steering, not hydraulic.

+1 Its the alternator

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

mullingar wrote: »
    AFAIK its electric power steering, not hydraulic.

Wow, cool!! I'm behind the times......ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

was it the original 2005 battery that was replaced? if so it wouldnt have lasted too long more anyways so no harm to have replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Trollhättan

As far as I know it's actually combined electro/hydraulic power steering.
    Electric power is used at low revs (eg when parking) and otherwise hydraulic.

Anyhoo....I had a similar symptoms on my '04 9-3 and turned out to be a dodgy alternator...have heard that it's a fairly common problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Fishtits, have you much experience with saabs? The alternator went 2 yrs ago too in the cold spell. Am probably going to change cars in early 2012 and am wondering what recommendation you or others would have. 2009/2010 diesels. Am liking the Audi a4 s-line a lot , and the Honda accord Es GT. Will probably buy in the uk again. With the problems I've experienced with the Saab I would appreciate some informed opinions on cars of this approx size?

Advertisement