Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Troubles.

Options
  • 12-12-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Ok I have the 7mb home package. Since about 4 weeks ago I have been getting severe fluctuations in speed, were talking fluctuations down to less than 1mb download speed frequently. Been on to eircom tech support about 6 times now about this same issue. Today, they said they will be sending out an engineer this wednesday. They said I will be charged €50 if the problem was on my end. We went through everything tried different sockets etc and still same problem. I have a feeling it is just the router but they said they would know if it was? If it is the router that needs to be replaced, I dont want to have to pay €50 for an engineer to call out if thats all that is wrong. If the engineer does call out and has to replace the router will I get it for free?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Eircom have sent me a broadband modem before for free. If its eircoms problem you won't be charged, if its your alarm system or dialler that's the problem then you will be charged.

Best look at your contract with eircom for best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jackmcg

Im the exact same, my eircom broadband has gone waaay down over the last month; the little bars in the bottom right corner say I have full signal strength but speedtest.net says I have an download speed of .20mbps and upload speed of .10mbps.. what the hell is going on!! eircom weren't very helpful at all on the phone so I think we'll be switching to UPC in the new year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Little bars mean nothing, have you tried an ethernet cable to eliminate wireless issues....eg a new Smartphone.

yep, no difference with the ethernet cable. and its not my laptop thats the problem either as it works perfect on other networks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try plugging router straight in socket, no filter , and see what happens to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnydenims

I am also having the same issue my speed dropped about a month ago. I am on 24mb ngb ultimate package i am only living 3km from exchange in dungarvan. I was getting about 11mb before only getting 8mb now have had engineer out twice already no issue on my end . they dropped my connection settings from 11200/886 kbps to 10287/687 pretty **** considering i am paying for 24mb and only barely getting 8mb. tech support is a disaster i rang them up today not much joy it was only by chance i heard on local radio that eircom in waterford had been badly affected by severe weather tech support did not even mention this to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kavkid

I got upgraded to the 24mb package for free and I was delighted because for once I was getting good speeds from eircom. Ranged from 8mb+, but up until recently I've been getting horrible speeds.

1657741374.png

At least I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

We got on the phone with eircom again. It turns out they were able to reboot our connection over the phone this time but the man said although he was able to fix the problem, he didnt fully understand what was wrong! happy to have it back to normal though

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Paddysboys

Back in march an eircom rep knocks on my door, i open the door and say no thank you.
    But then i listen to him and he tells me i can get 7mb and phone with free calls all
    for E37 a month.
    I ask him is it up to 7mb and he tells me its up to 8mb but i will get 7mb because of the new fiber optic cable in the area.
    Great where do i sign.

Two weeks later, up and running and i do a speed test... 2.7mb.
    So i ring up to be told there is no fiber optic any where in my town and thats the besti can get.
    OK it will do, everything ok for about one month then nothing but trouble.
    Speeds dropped,connection problems etc...
    Rang up loads of times to fix it, with no joy
    today the second engineer came to fix it,
    he came in did a speed test and said your line can only take 1mb and for me to ring eircom and tell them.

I should have listened to everyone and stayed away from eircom.
    They are some joke and lied to me from the start, every one of the eircom people i
    talked to told me a diferent story.
    Any one thinking of going to eircom ask around and read all the forums frist,
    the are a joke.....................

Advertisement