Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat peeing on bed and sofa

Options
  • 12-12-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

We have 2 dogs and 3 cats. All the animals except for one dog are rescues thta we have acquired over the last 3 years.

Anyway the cats are outside all day while we are in work and come in in the evening when we get home and sleep in various parts of the sitting room (as do the dogs) and sleep in the utility room when we go to bed where we have a kitty litter.

However over the last few weeks we have noticed that the youngest cat (she is 18 months) has started weeing on cushions in the sitting room and on the pillow in our bedroom. We rectified the bedroom situation by making sure the door is shut unless one of us is going in there, however the peeing on the cushion has happened a couple of times now.

Last night was a really strange one though. One of the dogs was lying on the throw on top of the sofa (where she usually lies at night until we go to bed), the cat jumped on top of the dog, swiped at her and when the dog jumped off the sofa the cat sat in her spot and wee'd.

Luckilly I spotted it happening and I grapped the throw straight away and put it in the washing machine.

The utility room door is always open and the sitting room and kitchen doors are always left ajar so its not a case that the cat cant get into the kitty litter. I suppose the simplest thing to do is to make sure that when that particular cat is in that we just leave her in the utility room but I was just wondering if anybody could shed any light on this particular behaviour?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Sometimes it can be something as simple as changing the litter I had do it for mine bt sometimes cn be a sign that the cat is not well.keep eye on her make sure she eating/drinking if it continue u mite need check up at the vets.cats cn also gt stressed very easily something like every putting ur Xmas tree up cn throw them off sensitive little buggers.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

One thing I would say is check she's ok health wise, one of mine has had a couple of bouts of bladder infections/crystals in urine and when it happens he pee's indoors, usually on the dog bed or a plastic bag.
    Its how I know, he'll go in front of me as if he's trying to tell me something.

Is she going more often?
    Or very small amounts?
    Does it smell strong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

It's a kidney problem, you'll need to get an antibiotic from the vet and I think it's contagious, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Sometimes it can be something as simple as changing the litter I had do it for mine bt sometimes cn be a sign that the cat is not well.keep eye on her make sure she eating/drinking if it continue u mite need check up at the vets.cats cn also gt stressed very easily something like every putting ur Xmas tree up cn throw them off sensitive little buggers.:P

Funny you mention the xmas tree. We only put up the tree on Sunday afternoon and later on the cat climbed into it and was trying to knock the balls off it. We took her off the tree and then about 30 minutes later she peed on the sofa.

I will arrange an appointment at the vets so just in case it is an infection. Its certainly a learning process with cats. I always hated cats up until the 3 we had adopted us. Love them now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Sure last year when mine was kitten he just starting peeing everywere i tried everything then someone mention d litter and just like that he stopped. :) It,s also good idea to get them checked out anyway just incase especially if they are acting out too drinking/eating/playing etc .Hope ur kitty is ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

One of my lads was doing that before turns out he'd a kidney infection. Probably better off getting her checked out 1st to rule out something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

headmaster wrote: »
    It's a kidney problem, you'll need to get an antibiotic from the vet and I think it's contagious, ok?

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Could well be cystitis. Our wee cat had a bad time with this; an indoor/outdoor cat who hates using a tray but did all the time then.

Emerged it is a dietary problem with her; cannot take grain in any form so the diet food from the vet made her worse. Blood in the tray then.. She gets raw all the time now; if I try a tinned food it is straight to the tray.

She used to be fine so this is a development. Made her cranky too.

Try a little diluted cranberry in her food. LIDL do a good cranberry drink

It is horrible when they start this.

Advertisement