Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing a 4yr course after 3yrs possible??

Options
  • 12-12-2011 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey :)
    Im in a 4 year full time course, (which doesnt have the option of level 7 thus a straight through to level 8) as it is a new course and has only being running a few years I was wondering if any one knows if its possible to leave and just get a certificate for a degree (after 3 years) instead of a honours degree (after 4 years)???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm pretty sure if it's a level 8 course straight through you won't be eligible to get any sort of a degree without completing it. Ask your course co-ordinator to make sure though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'd doubt it very much, particularly if it's in a university.

Courses which allow you to leave at certain points are designed in such a way that core skills/content etc. are covered within the timeframe. If the course isn't designed with this in mind I'd doubt it would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

You can do it in some places by getting what is called an exit award. You have to apply for it and basically plead your case as to why you should be allowed to leave after 3 years with an ordinary degree. That is for an IT anyway, but like a previous poster said it could be different if it is a Uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I know someone who skipped 3rd year and one who left after 2 years to study a masters in that area both already had degree's in another area.

Advertisement