Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging Cheque to someone else's account

Options
  • 12-12-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

My Mam has a cheque made out to her but has no bank account , can she lodge this cheque to my Dad's account or does she need to open her own account?

Also if the balance shows the amount for the cheque can she spend it or does she have to wait for the cheque to clear , the cheque is not crossed.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Is there the cheque crossed? Does it have A/C. Payee only on it like below. If it does it can only be cashed by your mam. If not the cheque can be signed over to someone else, your mam signs the back under your signature, print, "Pay to the order of" followed by the person's name. Next, have the other person sign underneath this printed line.

Specimen-of-General-Crossing.jpg

endorse2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Karen23 wrote: »
    My Mam has a cheque made out to her but has no bank account , can she lodge this cheque to my Dad's account or does she need to open her own account?

If the cheque isn't crossed then she simply signs the back of it and she can lodge it to anybody's a/c.
    Karen23 wrote: »
    Also if the balance shows the amount for the cheque can she spend it or does she have to wait for the cheque to clear , the cheque is not crossed.

If the balance is updated then yes, the money can be spent. I suppose if it was a student a/c they wouldn't allow the balance to show the cheque lodgement until the cheque actually cleared but if your father is a long standing customer the balance might be updated immediately in which case she can spend the money straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jet Black wrote: »
    Is there the cheque crossed?

She said it's not crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

coylemj wrote: »
    She said it's not crossed.

So she did :o I'm half asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She will most likely be able to lodge it to your Dad's account, especially if they're using the same surname. Opening her own account would be a waste of time if she doesn't receive many payments.

She can sign the back of the cheque and fire it into your Dad's account. The tellers don't even look at the name on the cheque half the time.

The account balance will show the amount of the cheque straight away and it can be spent, but if the cheque doesn't clear, the money will be removed from the account again.

If the cheque is from a government body or a very large company (i.e. a printed cheque), then it will probably clear, you don't need to worry about that. For other cheques, I think the usual is next-day clearing if the cheque is from the same bank as yours, or four days for any other domestic banks.

Though I don't have a chequebook and don't receive many cheques, so I could be wrong about that last bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Thanks everyone ,
    I rang the bank before we left and they said no , she couldn't lodge the cheque and she would have to open her own account.
    We took a chance and went to the bank anyway , we explained the situation but didn't mention the earlier phone call , she said it was absolutely fine and lodged it straight away and the balance was updated immediately :)

Advertisement