Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage company lost file ?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i got a call from a member of the mortgage company to tell me they lost a file of my phone conversations with them and they cant tell me if any of my details have gotten into wrong hands but they dont think so. should i talk to my solicitor or just let it go there would have been laser details in phone conversations cant think of what else any toughts would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

stove man wrote: »
    i got a call from a member of the mortgage company to tell me they lost a file of my phone conversations with them and they cant tell me if any of my details have gotten into wrong hands but they dont think so. should i talk to my solicitor or just let it go there would have been laser details in phone conversations cant think of what else any toughts would be welcome

if its a possibility of it getting into the wrong hands then you could make a complaint with the data protection commission. They will investigate how it happened. the bank should have notified them already of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stove man

chris85 wrote: »
    if its a possibility of it getting into the wrong hands then you could make a complaint with the data protection commission. They will investigate how it happened. the bank should have notified them already of this.

thanks just not sure what to do if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

They are legally oblidged to contact the DPC so if they've called you they should have called them too. Ask them and if you feel it's necessary complain to the DPC too.
    http://dataprotection.ie/docs/Home/4.htm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

stove man wrote: »

Well if you feel some of your financial data has been compromised, you had better change your credit card details etc...

You could if you want make a complaint, but it is not going to change the fact that the file was lost...

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Well if you feel some of your financial data has been compromised, you had better change your credit card details etc...

You could if you want make a complaint, but it is not going to change the fact that the file was lost...

I think this nonsense of dont complain as wont change anything is a load of bull.

if your financial info has been mishandled complaint to the DPC and they will investigate and ensure the institution in question put processes in place to prevent it happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

chris85 wrote: »
    I think this nonsense of dont complain as wont change anything is a load of bull.

if your financial info has been mishandled complaint to the DPC and they will investigate and ensure the institution in question put processes in place to prevent it happening again.

It's up to the OP, but it will not change their situation!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It's up to the OP, but it will not change their situation!

But the safeguards that could be forced on the institution could protect future info held on the OP by the institution.

Advertisement