Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV & UPC Broadband in an Apartment

Options
  • 11-12-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I've just got Sky installed and kept UPC broadband. However, because I am in an apartment with a shared disk, they have to split the feeds between Sky & UPC. UPC used to have both feeds.

The upshot of this is that I have Sky TV, but I can't record something I'm not watching, or record two things at the one time. This is obviously a major pain, and I don't want to have to get rid of UPC broadband.

Does anybody know any way around this? As in I want to keep the broadband and have two feeds to the Sky box so I can record two things etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I know this is a fall between two stools query, but I think its maybe more appropriate in satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

notnem wrote: »
    I've just got Sky installed and kept UPC broadband. However, because I am in an apartment with a shared disk, they have to split the feeds between Sky & UPC. UPC used to have both feeds.

The upshot of this is that I have Sky TV, but I can't record something I'm not watching, or record two things at the one time. This is obviously a major pain, and I don't want to have to get rid of UPC broadband.

Does anybody know any way around this? As in I want to keep the broadband and have two feeds to the Sky box so I can record two things etc.

If you have 2 feeds coming in to the apartment then there should be no problem.Generally what happens is that both feeds are used for sky by taking the bedroom feed and re-routing it to the living room. The UPC broadband can be combined with the sky signal by using a TV/sat combiner at both ends of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

homelink wrote: »
    If you have 2 feeds coming in to the apartment then there should be no problem.Generally what happens is that both feeds are used for sky by taking the bedroom feed and re-routing it to the living room. The UPC broadband can be combined with the sky signal by using a TV/sat combiner at both ends of the cable.

Do you know somebody who can do this? Sky haven't heard of this before and it is confusing them...

Thanks for your answer btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

notnem wrote: »
    homelink wrote: »

Do you know somebody who can do this? Sky haven't heard of this before and it is confusing them...

Thanks for your answer btw...

What engineering company installed the sky communal dish? Your property management agency should know. For me, KBO installed the communal dish (www.kbo.ie). The tend to look after a lot of apartment blocks apparently.

There were two (UPC) feeds to my apartment. One was switched to a dedicated sky feed. The other had a diplexer installed which combined the sky feed & the UPC broadband.

Sky won't do this for you however - neither will UPC. But the installer of the communal dish system should be capable of doing this.

On a separate note, I had an issue a few months after I had my sky installed. UPC decided that they didn't like that residents were getting sky where they once could only get UPC TV & so decided to fiddle with things in the basement. My broadband was cut off & one sky feed was affected but I got it sorted in the end by getting furious with UPC!

Other than that one incident, it's all worked perfect!

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AlexanderPlatz

I live in an apartment in the IFSC, I had UPC TV and Broadband and decided to move to SKY.

The installation company installed SKY + HD with no issue, I then decided to get UPC broadband as I sometimes work from home and need good broadband speed.

The installer calls out from UPC and takes one look at the SKY box and states " I can either have SKY or UPC Broadband but I can`t have both"
    As I need the broadband I told the installer to put in the broadband. Following this I had a week of calling UPC and KBO (Sky Installers) asking why I couldnt have both SKY and Broadband. KBO said I could have both and came out and installed a diplexer and the TV and Broadband were working perfectly for half a day until the broadband dropped. So off I go and call UPC and they sent out someone today who again stated I can`t have SKY + and UPC. I asked why I did have both for half a day and he said that KBO shouldnt have used UPC cables!!!

Now there is two UPC points in the apartment and I would have thought that would enable me to have broadband and SKY + but UPC keep stating I can`t have both!!

Would appreciate some advice?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, I have both Sky+ MR and UPC BB.

I got one of the Finlays guys to install a splitter from feed 3 (the first 2 are for the Sky+ box in the main room)
    In the basement he installed a splitter so the UPC and Sky goes into feed 3 and then on my end i used another one to break it out for the patch panel in the apartment.
    I've had no issues really.

The Finlays guy was saying i'm fairly lucky as my apartment has 3 feed points a friend down the road only has 2.

Advertisement