Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessionomics - killing your own food.

Options
  • 11-12-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

So what animals are we actually allowed hunt without a licence? I heard we can kill rabbits in the wild. Another animal we can hunt legally is the grey squirrel (I think).

I recently bought a hunting slingshot and hope to go into the forest to catch a rabbit or two for my starving belly. What do you think? Anybody here ever catch, kill & cook a rabbit or squirrel?

So, what other animals can we hunt legally?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What's with the bull**** made-up word ?

Subsistence farming existed long before this recession, and long before idiots started making up ridiculous words.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

And drink your own piss while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

shellfish are easier to chase down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Tescos sell noodles for 13c. With the time you'll save you could get a 2nd job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Other people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Subsistence farming existed long before this recession, and long before idiots started making up ridiculous words.

WOAH!!!

What's your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

jesus, lighten up will ya!

pheasants you can hunt in the season. people eat pheasant, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Broads.ie wrote: »
    So what animals are we actually allowed hunt without a licence? I heard we can kill rabbits in the wild. Another animal we can hunt legally is the grey squirrel (I think).

I recently bought a galabandy and hope to go into the forest to catch a rabbit or two for my starving belly. What do you think? Anybody here ever catch, kill & cook a rabbit or squirrel?

whats a galabandy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

orourkeda wrote: »
    Other people?

Soyent Green.:cool:

[SIZE="4"]WOAH!!![/SIZE]

What's your problem?

Stupid made-up words, as outlined clearly in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I recently bought a galabandy and hope to go into the forest to catch a rabbit or two for my starving belly. What do you think? Anybody here ever catch, kill & cook a rabbit or squirrel?

whats a galabandy?:confused::confused:

garv123 wrote: »

ah finally found it on google, you cant hunt with it no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Rabbits and squirrels are probably your best bet for trapping purposes. Not had the latter, but apparently can be tasty. The former are great. Also, worms, easiest source of protein without ever leaving the garden. You've probably plenty of rats around and, well, if you'll eat squirrel, I don't see a problem here. Some in season birds that are good to eat would be snipe, woodcock, pheasant, pigeon and ducks, but since I'm guessing you're not planning on doing some shooting, stick to 13c Tesco noodles and stir-fried rats and worms.

A galabandy is a slingshot, the kick ass hunting ones. I've edited the original post now.

Stupid made-up words, as outlined clearly in the post.

There's something wrong with you.
    pheasants you can hunt in the season. people eat pheasant, don't they?

So do I need a licence to go hunt pheasants? Because there is a shitload of pheasants around my place when they are "in season". It would be so awesome to be able to hunt them and have them on the dinner table that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I too would like to know more about this new galabandy device. What does it do, how does it work how much does it cost and where can it be bought? Need a license for it?

I too would like to know more about this new galabandy device. What does it do, how does it work how much does it cost and where can it be bought? Need a license for it?

a slingshot which cant be used to hunt

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69891255

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Ahh come on now, *tickle tickle :p

The week in politics is on at eleven, i'll make ya a nice cuppa tea and and we can have a game of Scrabble with no makey uppy words until then. I'll even open up a fresh packet of Jaffa cakes, your favourite ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I can't hit the side of a house from twenty paces with a slingshot, and not for lack of trying. :D I do pretty well with a recurve bow although that's illegal in Ireland. Rabbits I'd use a gun or homemade snares, also illegal, so only if badly stuck. Generally you aren't likely to be able to feed yourself legally through hunting in this country unless you mean fishing or shellfish.

I believe some people have had success with quail for urban back garden farms though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

So do I need a licence to go hunt pheasants? Because there is a shitload of pheasants around my place when they are "in season". It would be so awesome to be able to hunt them and have them on the dinner table that evening.

well you'd need a licence to own a gun, not sure about hunting otherwise though. and yes they're released when it's hunting season, hence why there's a 'shitload' of them around :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

This guy fires arrows with his slingshot! Lets do it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIcCRJGYug

• Advertisement

What the hell! What am I going to do with my slingshot so?! And why can't I hunt with it?

Well, you know what they say. A starving man has no ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

There's always loads of rabbits near where I live. To try and kill them off I think someone introduced myxomatosis to them (which is an awful thing to do). Anyway they carry shítloads of diseases and parasites.

Have fun eating your rabbit OP!

Thanks but that thread does not give me any further insights into galabandy's. In fact I don't see the word galabandy mentioned in it. I'll take your word for it that they are slingshots and thanks but am as wise as ever on how they differ from other slingshots, how much they cost etc...

Naomi00 wrote: »
    There's always loads of rabbits near where I live. To try and kill them off I think someone introduced myxomatosis to them (which is an awful thing to do). Anyway they carry shítloads of diseases and parasites.

Have fun eating your rabbit OP!

I too would be apprehensive about eating a rabbit from the wild like that. Its not like its going to have any Board Bia quality assured mark on it or traceibilty stamped on it as many fresh meat produce tend to have these times.

Thanks but that thread does not give me any further insights into galabandy's. In fact I don't see the word galabandy mentioned in it. I'll take your word for it that they are slingshots and thanks but am as wise as ever on how they differ from other slingshots, how much they cost etc...

its a nick name for a black widow as far as i can see. i bought one for 15 euro. they have that thing that rests on your arm so you can pull it back further without the slingshot bending back.

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img_5771_1.jpg

and the op said it was a slingshot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Also, there are tons of deer in the Phoenix Park. Just need to find out where they sleep, then swoop in with a giant net.

I too would be apprehensive about eating a rabbit from the wild like that. Its not like its going to have any Board Bia quality assured mark on it or traceibilty stamped on it as many fresh meat produce tend to have these times.

They are grand to eat. You'l know if something is wrong with them when you gut them.

lots of people in ireland hunt and eat rabbit, wood pigeon, duck, pheasant, woodcock and deer and they are all fine and good to eat. nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I recently bought a hunting slingshot and hope to go into the forest to catch a rabbit or two for my starving belly. What do you think? Anybody here ever catch, kill & cook a rabbit or squirrel?

So, what other animals can we hunt legally?

**Shocked**

Are you mad.

Rabbits are the most dangerous animal in the wild, they drop anvils on your head, stick their paws in the shot gun making it blow up in your face, they stick TNT up your arse and then say "whats up Doc".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

goose2005 wrote: »
    Also, there are tons of deer in the Phoenix Park. Just need to find out where they sleep, then swoop in with a giant net.
    Careful....
    Some of the 'Stags' there might surprise you from behind.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    goose2005 wrote: »
    Careful....
    Some of the 'Stags' there might surprise you from behind.

You're missing a "g" ;-)

Advertisement