Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crinoids

Options
  • 11-12-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Whats the difference between the 'theca' and 'calyx' in crinoids please?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whats the difference between the 'theca' and 'calyx' in crinoids please?

Think a Calyx refers to a cup shaped structure where as a Theca is a general term for any kind of cover or sheath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Think a Calyx refers to a cup shaped structure where as a Theca is a general term for any kind of cover or sheath.

Thanks , but i think your definition of theca is wrong...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

AFAIR the theca and calyx are interchangeable terms for many though technically the theca is just the part covered by the external plates, the calyx is the whole "body" of the animal including the theca(and mouth/anus) excluding the arms and the stalk.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You may be right, hopefully someone more in the know will pitch in :)

Here's the dictionary definition though:

the·ca/ˈTHēkə/
    Noun:
    1. A receptacle, sheath, or cell enclosing an organ, part, or structure, in particular.
    2. The loose sheath enclosing the spinal cord.

Edit: theres wibbs now :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ohh jayzuz don't rely on me M(ditto for SC) :eek: :D No third level bod am I(barely second level) and it's been 25 years since I was actively and amateurishly fossil hunting and reading up on same. Bad memory is baaad.:o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement