Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway SPCA dogs stolen

Options
  • 11-12-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Galway SPCA was broken into last night. 5 dogs were stolen, supplies were also taken and the sanctuary was vandalised. Some of the dogs have just had operations and need vetinary care.

Please keep an eye out for these dogs.

http://www.galway-spca.com/home.htm

URGENT NEWSFLASH: SUNDAY 11th December 2011
    Heathlawn Animal Sanctuary was broken into last night. 5 of our dogs were stolen, and horrifically some dogs that are just after having serious surgery and due follow up veterinary care. Along with the dogs, they also stole our supply of leads, collars, ransacked the storage rooms, office and shattered windows. Gardai presently there investigating. More details to follow on our facebook page. Such a horrific thing to happen to these poor animals who have already been through so much in their lives. When will this ever end???
    Stolen from Heathlawn. All Micro chipped. If you have knowledge to the whereabouts of these dogs, some still need urgent vet care and medication . PLEASE contact Portumna Garda station or any Garda station. PLEASE don't be silent, we need to get these animals back. These animals will be no use to anyone, as sadly they stole the ones that need immediate care

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Dreadful. Who in their right mind would do such a thing. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's so upsetting - which no doubt was the whole point. This must have been someone with a grudge. I so hope karma catches these thugs, cos even if the guards do nothing much will happen to them. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Oh no :( That's awful. I hope they're found safe and well :( Of all places to break in to, an SPCA! :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats disgraceful.This damn recession is making scumbags break into anywhere they think they can get something to sell.

Absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats disgraceful.This damn recession is making scumbags break into anywhere they think they can get something to sell.

Absolute disgrace.

I hope that they plan to sell the dogs but I strongly suspect that they were stolen for far worse reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Discodog wrote: »
    I hope that they plan to sell the dogs but I strongly suspect that they were stolen for far worse reasons.

Bait dogs?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I was more referring to the other items that were stolen.I suspect the dogs were stolen for other reasons & not for selling unless they were pedigrees????

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Bait dogs?

It depends on whether they knew that the dogs were undergoing treatment & are microchipped. It's a bit risky selling a dog with a chip registered to the GSPCA. A female Patterdale might attract the wrong king of attention. But most of the stolen dogs have no value.

Thefts from rescues are not unheard of & they have happened in the past. Another Galway rescue has had a few incidents over the years. Whoever did this has visited the rescue before & may have a grudge. It took some planning to remove 5 dogs & I heard that they disabled the cctv which suggests some prior knowledge.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I was more referring to the other items that were stolen.I suspect the dogs were stolen for other reasons & not for selling unless they were pedigrees????

The "ransacking" suggests that there may of been more to this than just theft. Anyone stealing the dogs is likely to use leads etc. But I agree that everything & anything is being stolen at the moment. What we don't know is whether they targeted specific dogs.

EDIT: I have just been told that all the stolen dogs were cruelty cases.

Discodog wrote: »

EDIT: I have just been told that all the stolen dogs were cruelty cases.

The plot thickens, maybe this will give them some clues as to who may have taken them.

I am completely speculating of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

This breaks my heart and makes my blood boil. We got our dog from Heathlawn three years ago and I'll freely admit that when I heard the news, I scooped her up and gave her a big hug.

Oh please God, they manage to find those poor creatures. And I'm sorry but the people involved in cruelty of anything, be it child, adult or animal, can rot in hell and anyone who had a hand in this last night can join them.

I hope they find the culprits and that the sanctuary can get back on its feet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

thats awful to hear that dogs undergoing treatment in the pounds were stolen. Im sure the dogs were stressed enough without going through this. scum :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

disgusting...:mad::mad:
    As an above poster said, things like this really gets the blood boiling. I'm furious now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This is a very sinister incident allright and I would have serious concerns for the welfare of those dogs too:(

PS: If these dogs were the subject of cruelty cases then that must be a strong lead in finding the scumbags responsible

Just want to make a quick point--I think we need to be careful about whats posted here....Anything that could jeopardise a future court case shouldnt be posted so if anyone has details known only to the Garda keep them out of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

http://blog.buyandsell.ie/2011/12/galwayspca-urgent-appeal/
    “Heathlawn Animal Sanctuary was broken into last night. 5 of our dogs were stolen, and horrifically some dogs that are just after having serious surgery and due follow up veterinary care. Along with the dogs, they also stole our supply of leads, collars, ransacked the storage rooms, office and shattered windows. Gardai presently there investigating. More details to follow on our facebook page. Such a horrific thing to happen to these poor animals who have already been through so much in their lives.”
    Below are four of the dogs stolen from Heathlawn. They are all micro chipped. The centre are appealing to anyone who knows anything about who did this or about the whereabouts of these dogs, that they please get in touch with the police. Some of these dogs still need urgent vet care and medication .

I'd like to see the guards responding to this by confiscating unlicenced horses in the area. They wouldn't dare of course but I'd like it if they did.

edit: oops sorry missed the existing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

This news has made me feel absolutely sick to my stomach. Those poor souls have been through enough already, and to have this happen when some have had surgery is beyond disgusting.
    Dear God let them be found soon and get the love and care they so desperately need and deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Lets hope these animals are found soon and the perpretators are brought to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

So disgusting that someone would do this :( Eugh. The thought of it is extremely upsetting. The dogs have had a hard enough time as it is like, totally sickening. I noticed a link to the BuyandSell blog there in one of the posts above, they seem to be doing loads for this so fair play to them. Saw a post on their facebook page that they had placed an ad on their website, donated and all sorts of other stuff http://buyandsell.ie/search/for-sale/pets/galway/stolen/do-not-buy-these-dogs-stolen-gspca-2

thoughts with the doggies ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SocialSally

that’s so awful to hear... some people have no shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Update ...

GalwaySPCA

Press release re stolen dogs

We are delighted to say that 2 of our dogs were recovered by the Gardai Monday evening the husky and lurcher.we could not announce till now as the Gardai asked us not to . The 3 terriers are still missing and we appeal to the public to watch out if they are offered for sale. Both dogs are in foster care now and are not available for adoption. The Gardai have requested at this stage that is all the details we can give. We are very grateful for the wonderful work the Gardai have done for our dogs .

Margaret o Sullivan
    Pro
    Galway SPCA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

that's good news, fair play to the gardai. I hope they find the terriers as well though :(

Well that is good news, fingers crossed the other 3 are found, would be interested to know how/where they were found, I'm sure it'll come out eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

TWO OF FIVE dogs stolen from a Galway animal sanctuary have been found – but the search is still on for the other dogs.
    A sergeant from Portumna Garda Station told TheJournal.ie that they were recovered thanks to the work of a joint operation between the DSPCA and the gardaí.
    Although full details of the rescue cannot be revealed for legal reasons, it is believed the animals were found in the Midlands.

http://www.thejournal.ie/two-dogs-stolen-from-animal-sanctuary-found-but-three-still-missing-306134-Dec2011/

Sorry for the bump but there are still 3 dogs missing :(

Advertisement