Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What places remind you of Christmas?

Options
  • 11-12-2011 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Obviously, Switzer's windows, and Hector Grey's, where you could buy a Chrissy pressie for your ma for 4p. But, what other ones?

For me, it's Davy Byrnes. I was waiting for the gf under Clery's clock (such a cliche), when I noticed another bloke, also waiting. We got chatting and decided to go for a pint.

We made it from O'Connell St. to Davy Byrnes (drinking by easy stages), before his gf and my gf finally made it. We were well on at that stage, but they were so late, that they could hardly give out.

The four of us ended up getting well and truly hammered as we laughed about the other people we had seen on our travels, who still had that hunted look in their eyes. They had pressies still to get, and the shops closing.

We had open prawn sandwiches and a rake of pints, while congratulating ourselves, on our forethought of getting in early.:rolleyes::o

Super way to spend the shank of Christmas Eve afternoon.:)

So, AHers. Anyone else got any nostalgic Christmas places?

Choco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Stuck halfway down the chimney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Saint Vincent De Paul handout depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Disappointed this story didn't lead to a tale of drunken partner swapping, in impossible gymnastic like positions.

For people of a certain age, meeting a man under Cleary's Clock and 'heading for a pint' would have a different meaning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

having sexy sex, with sexy lades who also in enjoy having sexy sex. In a sexy sex way, while of course being professional sexy sexers....

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Dublin forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Being kicked out of an empty busarus at 11 pm christmas eve, after missing the last bus home. My mother wasnt too happy having to collect me

or going to midnight mass christmas eve about 5 years ago, no sign of snow going in, but when we came out there was a light 'dusting' of snow on the ground, put everyone in a good mood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Wtf is switzers and hector grays?

Places that remind me of xmas? My local garage when all the trees are delivered.

Switzers was a department store where Brown Thomas is now in Grafton Street, Dublin. (BT used to be where M and S is now) Used to be much loved for its old-school Christmas window displays.

Hector Gray was an old chain of shops in Dublin that sold, amongst other things, toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Ghandee wrote: »
    Disappointed this story didn't lead to a tale of drunken partner swapping, in impossible gymnastic like positions.

As was I my friend, *sigh*, as was I.

\gets clip 'round the ear.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    The Saint Vincent De Paul handout depot.

:(

Places that remind me of xmas? My local garage when all the trees are delivered.

:eek:

Switzer's windows!!! Dad used to drive past (Grafton St. wasn't pedestrianised) and we'd make him park up the street. He didn't take much convincing.:)

Then we'd look at the windows. They always had scenes from Christmas in each window with moving (mechanical) figures. Santa, elves, Scrooge, The Litle Matchmaker, etc.

The Nativity scene was probably the first moving crib in Dublin* (and the cow went "moo")

In Germany he's known as Ruprecht, the gift-giver.;):pac:

*may not be a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

7up on ice:pac: dundrum shopping centre looks great at this time of year, really christmassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ah Switzers. Was the best. We used to go and see Santy in the basement.

Sounds a bit weird when you put it like that actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

What places remind you of Christmas?

The church. Only time I'm inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

My neighbours driveway, I was about 9-10 it was Xmas eve and there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground, I was sent over to the neighbour with a message(I have no idea what it was)

but I was with my sister she was 7-8, when we were leaving the neighbours we stopped for some reason and hugged each other, it is a feeling of closeness that has never left me
    she died at the tender age of 18(brain tumor) happy Xmas sis you are much missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The North pole

Sitting on Santa's knee, though I just get weird looks when I try to do it now as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Big, red, American trucks.

Oh wait, this is places...places with big, red, American trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

The Parish Church, my nannys sitting room and Arnotts. Always used to go see santa there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Obviously, Switzer's windows, and Hector Grey's

Obviously! Of course, sure all Irish people, everyone, on the whole island, went to two shops in Dublin. :confused:

There's a few pubs in my home town that remind me of Christmas no matter when I go into them, I normally head to one of them on Christmas Eve with my Dad or friends, love all the twinkly lights and everyone in such good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Obviously, Switzer's windows, and Hector Grey's, where you could buy a Chrissy pressie for your ma for 4p. But, what other ones?

For me, it's Davy Byrnes. I was waiting for the gf under Clery's clock (such a cliche), when I noticed another bloke, also waiting. We got chatting and decided to go for a pint.

We made it from O'Connell St. to Davy Byrnes (drinking by easy stages), before his gf and my gf finally made it. We were well on at that stage, but they were so late, that they could hardly give out.

The four of us ended up getting well and truly hammered as we laughed about the other people we had seen on our travels, who still had that hunted look in their eyes. They had pressies still to get, and the shops closing.

We had open prawn sandwiches and a rake of pints, while congratulating ourselves, on our forethought of getting in early.:rolleyes::o

Super way to spend the shank of Christmas Eve afternoon.:)

So, AHers. Anyone else got any nostalgic Christmas places?

Choco

Dublin City population: 525, 383

Republic of Ireland population: 4.58 million

Advertisement