Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year Digital Media BA Course

Options
  • 11-12-2011 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Could anyone tell me what the Digital Media course (first year) in NUIM is like? I went to the open day, I'm currently studying Computer Games Development but want to study more animation at the moment (Im sick of programming tbh)

So yeah, is there much animation in Digi Media? WHats on the course (I know theres bound to be programming, I can deal with that, I'd like to know if theres other interesting stuff like 3d modelling and digital software stuff)

Is it a good course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

Im currently in first year of Digital Media so I can give you a brief summary on what first semester was like :).

For the 'Media' part of the course, you have one lecture a week on media studies (mostly how we read the media, how to analyse and criticize etc). Then you have a seminar once a week in which you are in a small group and get to discuss what you did in the lecture as well as group work. You also have a module where you go to Kairos Communications across the road from the campus and this is where all the practical work happens (using video and sound equipment, editing software, great fun:)). The media modules are all continuous assessment which is great if you put in the work during the year. With regards to animation, we haven't done anything like that yet but Id say you will be more likely to do it if you keep on the computer science module in second year.

For the 'Computer Science' bit, yeah there is programming involved, mainly Java. This is done through lectures and labs but if you already have any experience with programming you'll be grand! You also study databases (again through lectures and labs), Computer Systems (which is a bit of history on computers as well as number systems like binary, hexidecimal). The Second semester is just Computer Systems plus Introduction to Computer Science (havent started it yet..).

Then you have your choice of arts subject to study too. If you have any questions on subject stuff, assignments etc just ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CheshireVirus

Awesome thanks!!!

I'm in BCFE in Ballyfermot Dublin doing a games development and design course, the second and third year can be digital media or more games design, but since I live inKildare its an easier commute to NUIM so I'm going there ext year since I got the points to go but didnt fill out CAO last year (I done the leaving then and didnt know if I'd get what I need ... but I did yay)
    In BCFE I've done 3d modelling and using game engines (in particular Unity and UDK) and I want to stick to that kinda stuff but also broaden my skills portfolio, hence Im taking the 3 years to NUIM to do digital media before going back to get a higher degree in Games design back in dublin.

I've done Communications, Computer systems/architeture and programming (Java!!!) in school so those modules will be a piece of cake!!! Still cant wait for next year (well technically this year since its 2012 now) :D should be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CheshireVirus

oh wait, I have a question, what are the hours like? I get thursdays off in BCFE since I have no classes that day, and I start early on fridays and tuesdays, is the digital media timetable very forgiving or will I be up super early every single day without a break lol

*yeah Im a little lazy, isnt everyone hehe*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

would you not finish out the course in bcfe first ? its a pretty good course and they teach you a lot about flash and other tools which will really help if you ever want to work in media as a career

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Is this the new name for the multimedia course? If so there's no animation in it. Though I did a animation for a final cut pro project. I think there might be an elective in the final year though I'm not sure. If your already in ballyfermot though you can do night classes in 3D modeling and animation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

oh wait, I have a question, what are the hours like? I get thursdays off in BCFE since I have no classes that day, and I start early on fridays and tuesdays, is the digital media timetable very forgiving or will I be up super early every single day without a break lol

*yeah Im a little lazy, isnt everyone hehe*

Well your timetable will vary depending on what arts subject you pick to go with it and which lab slots you pick for programming and databases. But in general the timetable is handy enough for the media and comp science modules.

Im usually in until 5 most days. If you play your cards right, you should get wednesdays off like me, but again that depends on your labs/arts subject.

My only 9am start is a Friday (possibly the worst day to have an early start coz Thursdays is the weekly student night out). You'll have your production modules in Kairos on Fridays at 9 til 11.

But yeah regarding animation, I'd go by megaten because as I said Im only a first year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You'll have your production modules in Kairos on Fridays at 9 til 11.

get used to doing those modules hungover , its good training for the very much still drink fuelled media

Advertisement