Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog stinks, causing problems

Options
  • 10-12-2011 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Situation is I live right beside an elderly couple who have a farm, they are also my landlords and very good friends. They have cattle / slatted houses etc. Their dog is a sorta sheep dog. He wallows in the cattle slurry and silage all the time. At night he is housed in a shed.

My dog, is a house labrador. During the day she is let out and hangs around with the fellow above. Problem is, she is stinking all the time now from hanging round with him . Its a new issue, been happening for about a month. As soon as I let her in at night it's f'ing awful.

The dog is a rescue, I actually found her about 16 months ago after a post on this website. This new issue is causing a real probblem in the relationship. I'm starting to really resent her. Ive tried washing her, you name it. I just find myself getting cross with her all the time now. Getting to the stage where I want rid of the dog and that aint good.

What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

yenoah wrote: »
    Situation is I live right beside an elderly couple who have a farm, they are also my landlords and very good friends. They have cattle / slatted houses etc. Their dog is a sorta sheep dog. He wallows in the cattle slurry and silage all the time. At night he is housed in a shed.

My dog, is a house labrador. During the day she is let out and hangs around with the fellow above. Problem is, she is stinking all the time now from hanging round with him . Its a new issue, been happening for about a month. As soon as I let her in at night it's f'ing awful.

The dog is a rescue, I actually found her about 16 months ago after a post on this website. This new issue is causing a real probblem in the relationship. I'm starting to really resent her. Ive tried washing her, you name it. I just find myself getting cross with her all the time now. Getting to the stage where I want rid of the dog and that aint good.

What to do?

Only solution is confine your garden where she cannot have access to the other dog... It's not her fault she smells... Infact most dogs love smelling bad mine included... You need to restrict her access to the other dog!

Don't have her out all day etc, or have in a secure pen where she cannot have access with the other dog!

It's not fair on her if your starting to resent her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

Ive tried her on a chain, that's not great cos she keeps tangling in everything. I might try a radio fence but seriously will struggle to afford one, also that doe snot prevent the neighbours dog from coming in to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Ive tried her on a chain, that's not great cos she keeps tangling in everything. I might try a radio fence but seriously will struggle to afford one, also that doe snot prevent the neighbours dog from coming in to her.

The only solution is a fence or a run. Runs can be made from builders fences or bought from the likes of this crowd http://cilldara.ie/

Those electric fences aren't nice, in fact they are cruel and are not reliable at all.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    The only solution is a fence or a run. Runs can be made from builders fences or bought from the likes of this crowd http://cilldara.ie/

Those electric fences aren't nice, in fact they are cruel and are not reliable at all.

Ive heard from others who swear by them. I see a few for sale on adverts atm, I may try one. Modern collars emit a beep warning, then if the dog gets nearer, they emit a mild shock, then if the dog keep sgoing, they emit a harder shock etc. Dogs very quickly learn the boundary and after a few months th efence can be removed.
    The radio fence gives me an acre where as fencing wis probably more expensive and affordability would only give me much smaller area plus theres concrete yard in the line etc, tricky to fence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

Ive heard from others who swear by them. I see a few for sale on adverts atm, I may try one. Modern collars emit a beep warning, then if the dog gets nearer, they emit a mild shock, then if the dog keep sgoing, they emit a harder shock etc. Dogs very quickly learn the boundary and after a few months th efence can be removed.
    The radio fence gives me an acre where as fencing wis probably more expensive and affordability would only give me much smaller area plus theres concrete yard in the line etc, tricky to fence
    op dont get me wrong

but what your basicly saying is you want to shock your dog because you dont want to block your garden off?

those things hurt dogs more than anything ,
    a bit of training will help but you realy need to block the garden off
    wooden posts and a few rolls of chicken wire should do ,

• Advertisement

Have a search through some posts on here about shock collars, you'l not find many here who agree with them. The electric fence is unreliable because it does not protect from other dogs/people coming onto your property (dog theft is rising, and it's not just small cutesy purebreds they are taking, my cousin's scruffy mutt was stolen on the same day a few other dogs were stolen in his area). You will also find that if there is something on the other side of that fence that the dog really wants (cat/rabbit running by or your neighbours dog) then they will put up with the quick sharp pain and run through it but they're not stupid enough to recross the boundary. Some dogs are even smart enough to sit close enough to the boundary for the beep to go off and wear the battery down before walking over the line! Have a look through rescue sites and you will see that dogs have been found wandering with the collars still on so these are definitely not a foolproof way of containing a dog.

There have also been many dogs that have been burnt with the 2 prongs because of the settings being too high.

Plus if you think that it's a mild shock then wear it around your neck and ask a friend to randomly set it off when your least expecting it. Many people put it around their wrist and set it off themselves which obviously means it's not going to hurt them because a) they're expecting it so can brace themselves and b) it's not around a delicate area like the neck.

Personally I would avoid these completely and put your money into a good run like the cilldara runs, when your home to supervise her you can then let her out for a walk/run. Runs aren't a cruel confinement method like many believe so long as they have a kennel inside them, the dog will probably sleep most of the day anyways.

Folks, thanks for the responses.

I will look into both. I live on dissability so have literally no money. A fence is gonna be a few hundred quid either way. I'll have a chat with NDN tomorrow and see what he thinks. He may not be happy with me fencing off areas of the garden / yard either. As a point of interest, the previous tennant had a radio fence for her dog and it was successful. Anyway, I'll look into all possibilities and see what I can come up with.

I adore the dog really, and I rely on her as she does me. But the smell of feces by the fire is not an option. It makes me sick. It is vile! Vile!!!

Folks, thanks for the responses.

I will look into both. I live on dissability so have literally no money. A fence is gonna be a few hundred quid either way. I'll have a chat with NDN tomorrow and see what he thinks. He may not be happy with me fencing off areas of the garden / yard either. As a point of interest, the previous tennant had a radio fence for her dog and it was successful. Anyway, I'll look into all possibilities and see what I can come up with.

I adore the dog really, and I rely on her as she does me. But the smell of feces by the fire is not an option. It makes me sick. It is vile! Vile!!!

Runs such as the ones I mentioned are temporary structures, they can be packed up and moved around if you move house.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Runs such as the ones I mentioned are temporary structures, they can be packed up and moved around if you move house.

They look so ugly, so unappealing and I bet very expensive. They also seem so small and restrictive, especially to a big bounder like a labrador. I have a back garden and a paddock, a few posts and a chicken wire might suit us better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

You could but a electric color on him and if he goes out of bounds he will get a shock he will have no choice but to stay around your place

• Advertisement

Cork24 wrote: »
    You could but a electric color on him and if he goes out of bounds he will get a shock he will have no choice but to stay around your place

Ahh, I see you've read the thread then :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would avoid an electric collar if you can, they are expensive and they are sometimes completely ineffective, which would be a massive waste of money. In my experience if a dog wants to roam they will roam and nothing will stop them.

I've even heard a story about a dog who figured out that he could stand close enough to the boundary that it would beep, but that he would not get an electric shock, then the batteries would run out in the collar and off he would go:D

I had to get a fence put up across my back way recently as my lad was getting out through the hedge, he never went far and he is very clean, licks himself in the manner of a cat, but I still would have him wandering. I got a friend to put up wire and posts and it cost me around €50, which is good value for the length of it.

Another idea might be to get a stake, I often see them in €2 shops and the like as a temporary measure, they are metal thing that you screw into the ground and then tie a long leash or chain to, she would have nothing to get caught on then.

I would only use the above as a temporary measure until you can get the money together for proper fencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Ahh, I see you've read the thread then :cool:

Reading is for Losers....... SO is Dying

Well now aren't you a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

yenoah - don't reply to comments such as that, please use the 'report post' function (red triangle with an ! in it)

Cork24 You wander into a thread where radio collars have been discussed already and make a post as if you haven't read the thread. When the OP points this out to you, you respond with the above.
    That's a random statement and is a rather mean thing to say.
    I suggest you read the forum charter and consider your words before posting again.
    Do NOT reply on thread (I do not wish to drag this topic off further) - PM if you feel you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

As a poster -- yenoah others have pointed out that those collars are not reliable as well as being hurtful, yes for some people they seem to work but they're not guaranteed.
    If your dog happens to break free, they may not want to come back.
    I'm all for giving a dog space to run around but you need to be responsible whilst thinking of your dog too.
    I can't imagine shock collars/associated fencing or whatever are particularly cheap.
    Fencing as mentioned is a good option, and can be removed if you're moving or there's some other reason.

You say the neighbours are your landlords and good friends, surely you could perhaps mention to them about the fact their dog rolls in slurry etc. and that by association your dog stinks. And that because your dog lives in your house, it's rather awful, but also they as the home owner can't want a dog dirtying / smelling up their property?
    Perhaps a compromise of sorts can be arranged, maybe they'll allow fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

What to do?

cant you leave her in with you, or are you gone all day?

Advertisement