Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentists who use general anaesthetic

Options
  • 10-12-2011 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello, I am wondering if anybody would know of dentists or dental surgeons who use general anaesthetic to make the person completely unconscious during dental treatment? I need a few fillings, but am reluctant, even terrified to go to a dentists as I had an almost traumatic episode a while back having two wisdom teeth extracted. I still have flash blacks and nearly have seizures remembering the treatment, in particular remembering the instruments used to extract the teeth. To be honest, I am thinking of avoiding the dentist and putting it off, even though I know that it will inevitably lead to further rot, which will make things worse. However, if anybody would know of a dentists that carries out tooth filling dental treatment under general anaesthetic and could name them, even if it is more expensive, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you won't get any dentist to do work under GA, but maybe conscious sedation.

have you considered hypnotherapy? i've a few patients that it has worked wonders for, and they don't need it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

its very,very dangerous to get a general anaesthetic in a dentists office, that is why they phased it out a long time ago here as it had quite a few fatal incidents,am guessing its the same in ireland.

woud recommend asking the regular dentist to be refered to hospital to have the work done under a GA,but its unlikely it will be done as they use a far less riskier form of sedation now called IV sedation which can be done in many if not most dentist offices,they use midazolam or a similar drug which is in a syringe that is attached to the hand through a canula and they can push through as much as needed at different times-and the patient can leave very soon after its finished.

am pretty sure it will be similar to over here with GAs,but to get one for dental work-even for procedures like wisdom tooth removal,there is very strict criteria-only if there are health risks with IV sedation,and/or if the person is at high risk of causing injury to themselves or others during the work being done.

am given GA for all dental work including just basic filling due to severe disability which affects self and woud affect others,but had also found out a few years ago that due to the amount of medication am on added to the midazolam,it had almost stopped breathing on several occasions,they had never even mentioned this but it was wrote on the procedure/consent form copy they gave mum.

if they do offer GAs in ireland,in a dentist office woud recommend against taking it up because of the lack of emergency help on offer if were to have any issues with the anaesthetising.
    its obviously different in a hospital though.
    its also harder to recover from a GA compared to IV sedation.

IV sedation is the best option for most people,for the patient it creates the belief that have been unconcious the whole time because the midazolam blocks new memories from being formed,once injected with the stuff,will start to feel very floaty in a nice way, then wake up-but it also depends on how much they use.
    -the sister had this to get a number of deeply impacted wisdom teeth on one side removed and they only offered IV sedation,she is a dental phobic but is also completely against drugs of any kind-after her procedure she said she loved the floaty trip she had on it and woud go for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

G.A. is too extreme and you would be very sore and sick afterwards. IV Conscious sedation is the way to go. Google for dentists that carry this out.

Advertisement