Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post recession Railway system

Options
  • 10-12-2011 3:21pm

Enterprising locals in Battambang, Cambodia, have developed a unique railway. It's made from recycled tank wheels, small motorcycle engines and lashings of bamboo.

Might be the only way to make a profit on some lines! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

looks fine to me, but we'd need roofs or stout brollies at least...Nollie Brollie i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Good idea for those living along the abandoned Waterford to Rosslare route, im surprised no one has thought of manufacturing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm sure some of the jobsworths over here would have some concerns over it :D

I love stuff like that, Asian and African railways, no standards, clapped out old crap but such an amazing experience, who wouldn't want to sit on the roof :)

15 hours to do 300km :eek:

15 hours to do 300km :eek:
    Travelling from Dublin to Sligo seems like 15 hours. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

dolanbaker wrote: »

Might be the only way to make a profit on some lines! ;)

Did the Bamboo train once, bit hard on the spine...no springs!

• Advertisement

dmcronin wrote: »
    Did the Bamboo train once, bit hard on the spine...no springs!
    Ii would imagine there would be some sort of suspension in the bamboo cross members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Ii would imagine there would be some sort of suspension in the bamboo cross members

Very little. Sitting on a big bag of rice may help the ride quality, but I didn't have one on me. The 'real' trains only ran at 8mph or so, with holes in the floor as big as dinner plates.

Advertisement