Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you follow up a job application?

Options
  • 10-12-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I recently applied for a job that I really, really want to get but have yet to hear anything back from. Granted, the position has only been advertised for just under two weeks now. I was thinking of maybe making a follow-up phone call to ask what the time scale for hearing back might be etc. Is this a good idea or would I just be seen as badgering them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

When is the closing date? Wait until a couple of weeks after that has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

No closing date posted, I called today to make a general enquiry about the position. Turns out the position has been filled, I'm devastated. I really wanted that job :(

dceire wrote: »
    No closing date posted, I called today to make a general enquiry about the position. Turns out the position has been filled, I'm devastated. I really wanted that job :(

I hear ya. I've done the follow-up thing for a couple of jobs I really wanted to get an interview for in the last few weeks, only to find out I haven't been shortlisted. :( It's totally gutting, but I think you just have to realise that there is soooo much competition out there at the moment so it doesn't necessarily reflect badly on you. The fact that they filled the job so quickly says they might have had someone already lined up for the job and might just have advertised to fulfill some legal requirement. You just need to keep trying and keep plugging away. Is it a competitive field you are trying to break into?

Been recently trying to get into event management, especially in the cultural sector. I've started to build up experience and contacts by volunteering at various festivals but no sign of anything permanent yet. I had an interview with a media group for an events internship, with a possibility of a job at the end of it, last month. The interview went really well but I lost out to someone who had extensive experience and a degree in events management; as opposed to my more general degree in media production.

This job was actually in the IFI working in box office/front of house. I wanted it for three reasons, 1) I really like the place and their whole ethos, 2) it would finally end my long wait to finally move up to town, & 3) it would signal the end of my hellish life in retail, I give myself another 6 to 8 months max :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

I would absolutely follow up and put a call in - in some cases it might even be a good idea to call before you apply and say that you had some questions you were hoping to get answered before you apply.

Even if you didn't get the job, you might still be able to speak with the hiring manager and see where you fell short and what you could develop for the next time around.

• Advertisement

Been recently trying to get into event management, especially in the cultural sector. I've started to build up experience and contacts by volunteering at various festivals but no sign of anything permanent yet. I had an interview with a media group for an events internship, with a possibility of a job at the end of it, last month. The interview went really well but I lost out to someone who had extensive experience and a degree in events management; as opposed to my more general degree in media production.

This job was actually in the IFI working in box office/front of house. I wanted it for three reasons, 1) I really like the place and their whole ethos, 2) it would finally end my long wait to finally move up to town, & 3) it would signal the end of my hellish life in retail, I give myself another 6 to 8 months max :rolleyes:

Well, keep going with the volunteering thing, in your area that is really really important.

I've only been getting to the interview stage and even that has dried up, but I see it as a huge plus that I was able to get some interviews in such competitive times. If you've been doing good interviews, you WILL strike it lucky at one, just keep at it.

AstridBean wrote: »
    Well, keep going with the volunteering thing, in your area that is really really important.

I've only been getting to the interview stage and even that has dried up, but I see it as a huge plus that I was able to get some interviews in such competitive times. If you've been doing good interviews, you WILL strike it lucky at one, just keep at it.

As I said the interview I had for the event management internship went really well. I asked for feedback when I didn't get the position and they said I was a very strong candidate who interviewed very well. They said I lost out on the experience side of things; and here's me thinking that the idea of an internship was to furnish you with experience at no cost to the 'employer' :rolleyes:

As I said the interview I had for the event management internship went really well. I asked for feedback when I didn't get the position and they said I was a very strong candidate who interviewed very well. They said I lost out on the experience side of things; and here's me thinking that the idea of an internship was to furnish you with experience at no cost to the 'employer' :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, was it Jobbridge?

Out of curiosity, was it Jobbridge?

I found it through GradIreland but some of the interns who were already working there were being paid through Jobbridge, don't think I would have qualified though as I am in full-time employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Just on the topic. I recently applied for a job, successfully passed the initial and technical interviews and was then asked to do a Gallop personality test, which I completed 2 weeks ago.

I have had no contact from the company in question since. Should I contact them? To be honest, I am 50-50 about the job, in that it seems relatively enticing but I would not be too upset if I didn't get it. All the same, I would like see my results from the Gallop test, as I have never completed one before.

• Advertisement

I found it through GradIreland but some of the interns who were already working there were being paid through Jobbridge, don't think I would have qualified though as I am in full-time employment.

Yeah, you wouldn't be eligible because of that. I'm getting so fed up of seeing things that were once paid jobs advertised now as internships. :mad: But that's a rant for another thread.

Yeah, you wouldn't be eligible because of that. I'm getting so fed up of seeing things that were once paid jobs advertised now as internships. :mad: But that's a rant for another thread.

Yea, it seemed to me that the person who got the internship seemed to be qualified for a paid position. Some companies just seem to be taking the michael trying to sell a job as an internship. Sadly, for some of us at least, it seems to be our only chance of getting something half decent down the line.

Advertisement