Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology books for christmas?

Options
  • 10-12-2011 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Is there any good reads published the past year or two that would make good christmas reads?. Any that offer something new?. I enjoyed the Emperors new drugs earlier this year.
    Danke
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whittaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Mindset by Carol Dweck.

Also, the following at NOT based on scientific psychological research but are charming:

Complete Life's Little Instruction Book
    Complete Live & Learn and Pass It On
    both by H Jackson Brown.

AND

the new Irvin D Yalom book is due out in March 2012:

"The Spinoza Problem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks all,has Whitakers title anything new to offer over 'The Emperors new drugs'? or 'The Manufacturing of Depression' both of which I already have?. There's a lot of books in that general theme at the mo.

Dunno, but I'd add The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathon eh eh Haidt something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The Happiness Hypothesis is a good read alright. Maureen Gaffney has very recently released a positive psychology book for the general reader called Flourishing.

I was on the BPS website earlier and they have book recommendations from 2011:
    http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2011/11/psychology-books-of-year-2011.html

From that I added 2 books to my Amzon wishlist:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Madness-Darian-Leader/dp/0241144884/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IO3U8PNA44T56&colid=E11ET7EBCGGN

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Redirect-Surprising-Science-Psychological-Change/dp/1846142296/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I85UPQ3QSRE4R&colid=E11ET7EBCGGN

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

A few suggestions :
    • "CBT in the HSE" or "If all you have in the toolbox is a hammer all you're likely to do is hit nails with it but not always on the head".
    • "The Psychology of Waiting Lists for HSE Psychological Services Clients"
    • "The Waiting List to be seen before you can be allocated a place on a Waiting List" by Comhar Counselling Staff
    • "Centralised Hospital-centric Services - The Reality for Clients of HSE Home-based Mental Health Teams"
    • "Why Won't my Psychiatrist Listen To Me" or "Where Are All the Bleedin' Psychologists Gone?"
    • "We Know You've Been Diagnosed with PTSD and Don't Drink or Take Drugs - But How Do You Feel About Seeing the Addiction Counsellor?"
    • "We Know You've been attending AA and the Addiction Counsellor all year and off the drink for nearly a year, but a few whiskies at the day-hospital Christmas party won't harm you - after all, it's free and it's Christmas".
    All to be authored by me and self-published in time for next Christmas

Mathepac, you are completely off topic here. If you want to complain, why don't you do so either to the HSE or to the Minister for Health? Somewhere a bit more useful than an internet discussion board. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I apologise for my stupid, off-topic post above.

I offered to delete the post content and the mods suggested that I do whatever I thought was best. I'll leave it there as a monument to the nonsense in which I sometimes engage.

Thanks, Happy Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks all,I like the look of 'what is madness?'. Had a look at Maureen Gaffney's book and while it appears charming,I'm not sure I'd find much new in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cathquig

if you're still looking for a good psy read there is 'Nature via Nuture' by Matt Ridley. Am reading it now, its easy to read for the lay man but is completely backed up by references. Very compleing POV to a long argument

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 parlare

Advertisement