Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great deals on alcohol in newry

Options
  • 10-12-2011 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi all,

Did my Xmas shopping in newry yesterday evening. Spent 320€ but got enough food and booze to last me a month!

There really is some great deals to be had on booze. I got 3 cases of red wine at 24 quid a case. Probably not the best wine out there but great price.

Also bought a camera, small tv, and a net book in Argos for 380€ for kids presents.

Anyone else shop there this Xmas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

In before the lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

A netbook for 380? They saw you coming!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

3 cases of red wine will only you a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

If you had bothered to read you ll notice 3 items for 380

xzanti wrote: »
    3 cases of red wine will only you a month?

Haha. I'm a lightweight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

wine offer this week in lidl - case of six wines (two white and two red to choose from) for the price of four, works out at less than 20 quid a case

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    If you had bothered to read you ll notice 3 items for 380

Meh, i havent beem to bed yet. You still should be buying down here and not up north. Shame on you!!!

annie.t wrote: »
    wine offer this week in lidl - case of six wines (two white and two red to choose from) for the price of four, works out at less than 20 quid a case

That's good value too. Mind you some of the lidl wine is pretty rough stuff. Have you tried it?

Kiera wrote: »
    Meh, i havent beem to bed yet. You still should be buying down here and not up north. Shame on you!!!

Watching the coins this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How much did your petrol cost for the journey?

• Advertisement

How much did your petrol cost for the journey?

1 or 2 euro tops I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I went to a garage just over the border and they were selling heinikens 5% at the same price as when Dunnes do a super super one day only special offer -

Much cheaper for food and alcohol but fecking government hiked up the price of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Off to Derry myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Hi all,

Did my Xmas shopping in newry yesterday evening. Spent 320€ but got enough food and booze to last me a month!

There really is some great deals to be had on booze. I got 3 cases of red wine at 24 quid a case. Probably not the best wine out there but great price.

Also bought a camera, small tv, and a net book in Argos for 380€ for kids presents.

Anyone else shop there this Xmas?

You have kids, are you pissed off that your CBA has been cut?

If your petrol costs 20 € you ll still make massive savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Going up to Newry myself today. Petrol €20 but 2 mates are coming with me and chipping in for petrol and parking :)

ASDA are doing 15 bottles of miller for £6 and Sainsburys are doing 2 15 packs of beer for £16 or 3 packs for £22 (around 25euro for 45 bottles of beer).

Watching the coins this year.

Didnt they do a "midweek" thingy on TV3 about this and you spend more by going up north??

Ok i know there's an extra 2% in Jan but does it not all even out with regards to petrol and that?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,079 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Aren't Dunnes or Tesco doing a deal on wine, 25% back when you buy 6? Think that's what my mam said last night when she dropped round a case.

Didnt they do a "midweek" thingy on TV3 about this and you spend more by going up north??

Ok i know there's an extra 2% in Jan but does it not all even out with regards to petrol and that?

Trust me. It's cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

TV3 have their own vested interests in the way they portrayed that programme and they didn't do a proper shop and analysis. Yes there are great deals to be had in the south at the moment (pre-christmas) but there are huge savings to be made in the north on certain electricals, clothes and certain alcohol when they are doing the offer. Also good savings to be made on designer make up (MAC, YSL etc) and perfume/aftershave.

• Advertisement

billybudd wrote: »
    You have kids, are you pissed off that your CBA has been cut?

A little but I accept it. We are both working. May I ask what that has to do with my bargain shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I didnt see the show but i've been up north recently and its a lot cheeper for electrical and food/drink.

I'm looking at the sainsbury website and the have 36 cans * 440mils = 22 pounds

I know smaller cans but still a massive saving especially if you're loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Make this trip about once a month actually did our xmas shop last Tuesday. Booze is cheaper by far alright but it's the price of good quality red meat and general everyday goods that makes the trip worth it by far. We sat down last month and did the math and we save around 220-250 a month on groceries after diesel and tolls are deducted. Noticed a huge increase last summer in the amount of Southern reg cars making the trip up also.

Trust me. It's cheaper
    Monife wrote: »
    TV3 have their own vested interests in the way they portrayed that programme and they didn't do a proper shop and analysis. Yes there are great deals to be had in the south at the moment (pre-christmas) but there are huge savings to be made in the north on certain electricals, clothes and certain alcohol when they are doing the offer. Also good savings to be made on designer make up (MAC, YSL etc) and perfume/aftershave.

Yeah i didnt see it myself. Ok if you are travelling from Dundalk to Newry then you might save money. But people from Wexford and that should just not bother, its goona cost them on petrol and hassle of traffic to Newry. Nightmare!

I'd rather spend the extra few quid down here than sit in a car for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

So you spent €700 on a Netbook and some booze? That's some bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

A little but I accept it. We are both working. May I ask what that has to do with my bargain shopping?

Because a country is like a shop, if nothing comes in then nothing comes out, while you may save a penney you sure as hell in the long term lose a pound, godforbid either you or your wife loses a job or both jobsn and then you will need the state to help you out in the array of entitlements you will seek, how do you think these things are paid with?

Save a penney but lose a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

1 or 2 euro tops I'd say.
    Petrol to and from Newry only cost you that?. Do you live in Newry?

Lidl and Aldi wines are cheaper than that and also good quality. Tescos 25% off wines is a great deal also, highly recommend their simply Pinotage at only 5 euro, buy 6 and its only 3.75 a bottle.

billybudd wrote: »
    Because a country is like a shop, if nothing comes in then nothing comes out, while you may save a penney you sure as hell in the long term lose a pound, godforbid either you or your wife loses a job or both jobsn and then you will need the state to help you out in the array of entitlements you will seek, how do you think these things are paid with?

Save a penney but lose a pound.

This is very true. You save feck all up north unless you live on the border. And people are just making our dole q longer by shopping up north.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Lidl and Aldi wines are cheaper than that and also good quality. .

Are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

xzanti wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Yes, why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement