Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My options

Options
  • 10-12-2011 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

So I posted a thread a couple of weeks back regarding a big cavity at the the back of my top right incisor. I have a fear of dentists and have been putting it off. But I went today.

As it turns out my teeth are in a very bad way, I have to have 11 fillings, one of which was done today and the one with the bad cavity is supposedly for extraction. My dentist laid out my options to me as this

Extraction, then

Implant: €1500
    Bridge: €800
    Braces to bring one of my back teeth forward: €2000-2500
    Denture: free -€3000

Or a Root canal: €800

Now he is really pushing for extraction which is a route I would really prefre not to go down. The thing is I thought for a tooth to be salvageable there would have to be some symptoms, abscess or pain or something, of which I have none. Should I get a second opinion or should I just go with what he says?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If the tooth can be predictably saved with a root canal then thats the way to go, no question. Removal of the tooth should be the last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If the tooth can be predictably saved with a root canal then thats the way to go, no question. Removal of the tooth should be the last resort.

I know that's what I think, so I don't really understand why he is pushing for extraction. Second opinion, good idea or not?

Advertisement