Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Turkey

Options
  • 10-12-2011 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Here we go. Decided to quit a little while ago and set December 9th as my last day of smoking. Going cold turkey since earlier today. Probably been about 12 hours now actually. No cravings as such, almost went for one after dinner today but it was more of an automatic reaction than a craving. Here's hoping it goes well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

24-ish hours in. Still no cravings. All seeming a bit too easy at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

How many a day did you smoke, what brand of cigarette, when would you smoke your 1st and last cigs, how long were you smoking for, what age are you, how's your health and how do you know about your health being the way it is? Sorry about all the questions, just want to understand where you're coming from.

headmaster wrote: »
    How many a day did you smoke, what brand of cigarette, when would you smoke your 1st and last cigs, how long were you smoking for, what age are you, how's your health and how do you know about your health being the way it is? Sorry about all the questions, just want to understand where you're coming from.

Smoked anywhere from 6-10 on a regular day and upwards of 14 on a night out. Smoked Marlboro Lights. First smoke would be about 30 minutes after getting out of bed, last one would be just before going to bed. Only been smoking about 3 years. I'm 23. I'm generally healthy, though I haven't been for a checkup or anything. Not quitting because I have health problems if that's what you're asking. And don't worry, I don't mind answering questions.

48-ish hours now. Went out to a house part last night. Didn't really feel the need to smoke, but I wasn't drinking, so not too effective a test to see if I'll smoke when I've had a few drinks. Finding myself a little bit irritable today. Was playing a game online and found myself getting really angry at one point because of what somebody else was doing on it.

Right now, I'm in a state of "It'd be nice to have a smoke." but don't feel the need to go get some so my willpower appears to be keeping it in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Improbable wrote: »
    48-ish hours now. Went out to a house part last night. Didn't really feel the need to smoke, but I wasn't drinking, so not too effective a test to see if I'll smoke when I've had a few drinks. Finding myself a little bit irritable today. Was playing a game online and found myself getting really angry at one point because of what somebody else was doing on it.

Right now, I'm in a state of "It'd be nice to have a smoke." but don't feel the need to go get some so my willpower appears to be keeping it in check.
    Keep it up bro i,m 4 months off the stick,s now and feel f**king great best thing ever

• Advertisement

Day 3 update. Cravings seems almost entirely gone. Didn't get one all day. Also noticed that I'm a lot less irritable today compared to yesterday. Honestly, I wasn't expecting the first 3-4 days to be as easy as they have. Fully expected to have to actively fight the desire to run to the shops to get a pack but didn't have anything like that at all. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

It was much the same for me and that was after 30 years smoking. It was always the fear of giving up that stopped me from doing it for years. If I had known how easy it would be I would have given up years before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

last thing you wanna be doin is discussing the dammed ciggies when your trying to quit .

stay away from anything to do with them or you will regret it,talking about them is thinking about them..

taken from experience.

Missed a few days. Been about week now. Still off them. Had a few dreams during the week of myself holding a pack of cigarettes but not actually smoking them. Didn't make me want a cigarette when I woke up or anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ronan652

As the days go on you'll realise than smoking was more about satisfying a habit rather than satisfying your body's craving for nicotene. You've now proved to yourself that you've broken that habit!

A tip i used when i was giving up was to take a slow deep breath...hold it...and let it out slowly. You might find that it may help you also.

Incidentally, the "It'd be nice to have a smoke." feeling NEVER goes....you'll just have to get used to that i'm afraid. You just have to keep reminding yourself that there's NOTHING POSITIVE about smoking. Period.

Try now to think of yourself as a non-smoker rather than just 'off them'.

Keep it up dude. Well done and be proud of yourself!

• Advertisement
Advertisement