Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you buy a Pipe?

Options
  • 10-12-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Where can one get a Pipe these days? (Centra dont seem to sell them!)!

Oh, and what is the most common (lets say) tobacco used for all you Irish Pipe smokers?

(its for a christmas gift for someone).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

If you are in Dublin you have to head to the world famous Petersons on Grafton St (opposite main entrance to Trinity College).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yep, Peterson's is the place to go. Their De Luxe Mixture is a really good tobacco too. Don't forget cleaners and a companion if you're starting someone off on pipe smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quinntan

If you're in Galway try Powell's music shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Quinntan wrote: »
    If you're in Galway try Powell's music shop.

Pipes in a music shop? Whoudda thunk that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Hope it's ok to post here. Purchases my first pipe from Peterson today. Cost €40 which included a discount. Not sure what make it is as just asked for something for a beginner. Also got some 'Peterson deluxe mixture' and some weird Metal spoon/spoke/compressor thing. No instructions so am a bit lost. Firstly I can't open the feckin tobacco haha. Secondly I haven't a clue what the aforementioned metal yoke is for. Lastly, should tobacco be placed directly on pipe or should a gause of sorts be used.

Anyone any recommendations to a complete pipe smoking novice. Would be extremely grateflul if so :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

SteoL wrote: »
    some weird Metal spoon/spoke/compressor thing.
    A companion. Use the spoon bit to scoop out the spent tobacco when you're finished. You'll need pipe cleaners too, btw.
    Firstly I can't open the feckin tobacco
    Assuming it's in a tin, use a coin to wedge the lid off.
    Lastly, should tobacco be placed directly on pipe
    Yep, just poke it into the bowl.

If it's a wooden pipe, only half fill the bowl the first few times to break it in.

But really it's just a question of stuffing the tobacco in, firmly but loose enough that you can draw on the pipe. Light it, smoke it, inhaling as much or as little as you want (you might need to relight at some point), and when it's done scoop out the bowl, clean the stem with a pipe cleaner, and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I started a similar thread some months ago. Am on mobile, but will dig it out for you later. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here it is. There are a few tips on how to get started.

Also - try the Search function. There are a few Pipe-related threads out there that may be of use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

BeerNut wrote: »
    But really it's just a question of stuffing the tobacco in, firmly but loose enough that you can draw on the pipe.
    There is a balance to strike on how tightly to pack the tobacco, and it makes a huge difference to the pipe-smoking experience. If you persist, you'll get the hang of it, but after many years of pipe-smoking I still manage to pack the occasional pipe badly.

Try putting some tobacco into the palm of one hand, and roll it gently with the other hand into a ball that looks about the right size to fit into the bowl of the pipe. Then slide it from your hand into the pipe and tamp it home gently. It's better to pack too loosely than too tightly, because that is easier to fix. Your companion has a tamper, and you can use that to press down the tobacco even when it is lit.

[It's easier to do than to describe!]
    Light it, smoke it, inhaling as much or as little as you want (you might need to relight at some point), and when it's done scoop out the bowl, clean the stem with a pipe cleaner, and that's it.
    I don't inhale at all, except occasionally by accident. Most or all of the nicotine hit from a pipe is transdermal.

If a pipe goes out, don't suppose that you are doing things wrong. It is fairly usual to have to relight pipes. The tobacco does not keep burning unless the pipe is being drawn on every few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If someone is buying one, but wants a cheap pipe, ask for a "second pipe" - it'll be like a normal one, except with a slight mark, chip, etc, that doesn't make it 100% - usually can get a decent one with only a small scrape on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Well seem to be getting the hang of smoking my pipe and really enjoying it. Can anyone recommend a nice and tasty blend? So far I have 'De Luxe Mixture' and 'Connoisseurs Choice' both Peterson blends. Think the former is my favorite but any others recommendations appreciated.

Also bought some cleaners today. Seems like a sound investment so far, very happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Some outdoor shops sell pipes too. I know the Outdoor shop on the quay in Waterford definitely does anyway. (Peterson pipes)

Advertisement