Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When can I claim maternity while on Illness benefit?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm 28 weeks pregnant with twins and had to finish up work 3 weeks ago due to pregnancy complications, so i'm currently on Illness benefit. I've been told that the twins could be born any day now but my maternity leave isn't due to start until mid Feb 2012. Can I still claim Illness benefit if the babies are born this early and continue to claim my maternity pay when i'm due to in Feb?

I don't want to be on maternity leave while the babies are going to be in hospital as I feel I'll be losing out on quality time with them when I do finally get them home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BirthChildrenAndFamilies/MaternityBenefit/Pages/mb.aspx
    Hospitalisation of baby
    If your baby is in hospital and you have been getting Maternity Benefit for at least 14 weeks (including at least 4 weeks since your baby was born) you can postpone payment of your remaining 12 weeks of benefit for up to 6 months. To postpone payment of your Maternity Benefit you need to apply in writing to the Maternity Benefit Section in the Department of Social Protection. When your baby is discharged from hospital you must notify the Maternity Benefit Section in writing and payment of your remaining 12 weeks Maternity Benefit will continue within seven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Red-B

Thanks January.

I know about that but want to find out if I can still claim Illness Benefit after they're born until i'm due to start claiming maternity benefit in Feb. Or do I have to start claiming maternity benefit once they're born?

I appreciate your reply though. I just doesn't quite answer my question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think you have to claim maternity benefit, you would be best to ring citizens advice though, they will give you a straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

My daughter was born just over 8 weeks premature, I had been off work ill too. My maternity benefit started the day she was born.
    Irish Premature Babies charity are working on a campaign for additional leave for parents of premature babies as many need to have extended hospital stays which eats in to your maternity leave :(

Advertisement