Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance claim problem

Options
  • 09-12-2011 8:43pm

I was wondering if somebody would be able to advise on what I should do next with my travel insurance claim as I have a bit of a problem.

Bit of background, there was a death in the family, so i had to make an emergency flight home. Booked the flight in the airport, got a receipt for the credit card transaction from the airline and kept that in my wallet for the travel insurance claim. I've now submitted all my receipts to the travel insurer and they say this receipt is not sufficient and they want an itinerary/invoice for this flight. However I was never issued with an invoice as I bought the ticket in the airport and the credit card receipt is all I got. I contacted the airline (TAM airlines) and they said they could not find my reservation without a ticket number, but I do not know the ticket number. So I'm stuck.

Is the insurer being unreasonable to request an invoice when Ive already submitted a receipt for the flight? They say the reason for this is as its "a standard document we require on all claims for early return in order so we can confirm that the cost claimed by you is relating to the policyholder only".

I even checked my baggage to see if it still had the airline tag on it which may have had the ticket number but it was removed when I went on another flight afterwards.

Any ideas or advice? Are they being unreasonable or is this fairly standard? It was a very expensive flight so can't afford not to be refunded for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Insurance companies will do their damnedest not to pay out, but a flight itinerary/invoice would be pretty standard. Unfortunately the

The airline is not obliged to help you out, but they will have ways of searching for your reservation other than just the ticket number. Try calling them again and explaining the situation, and ask nicely if there's any way they can help you - grovel if needs be. Giving them the date, flight number, and itinerary (as well as your name, obviously), should help.

Thoie wrote: »
    Insurance companies will do their damnedest not to pay out, but a flight itinerary/invoice would be pretty standard. Unfortunately the

The airline is not obliged to help you out, but they will have ways of searching for your reservation other than just the ticket number. Try calling them again and explaining the situation, and ask nicely if there's any way they can help you - grovel if needs be. Giving them the date, flight number, and itinerary (as well as your name, obviously), should help.

I've tried this but got nowhere. So I rang back and got another agent who said the same. So frustrating as as you say there must be a way. Surely someone could do something up and send me the email! Unfortunatly TAM dont have an email address for customer service so I could explain in writing.

This is a disaster, who else would the receipt be for? I hardly swam across the Atlantic! The reciept shows the flight is from Rio to Germany, the time it was booked, the price paid and the last 4 digits of my cc. I also emailed them my credit card statement showing the transaction. I dont think I should be penalised for not getting an invoice when i wasnt provided with one which is why i think they are being unreasonable. The other reciept should surely suffice...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've tried this but got nowhere. So I rang back and got another agent who said the same. So frustrating as as you say there must be a way. Surely someone could do something up and send me the email! Unfortunatly TAM dont have an email address for customer service so I could explain in writing.

This is a disaster, who else would the receipt be for? I hardly swam across the Atlantic! The reciept shows the flight is from Rio to Germany, the time it was booked, the price paid and the last 4 digits of my cc. I also emailed them my credit card statement showing the transaction. I dont think I should be penalised for not getting an invoice when i wasnt provided with one which is why i think they are being unreasonable. The other reciept should surely suffice...

I know it's frustrating, but all insurance companies set out the T&Cs, and I bet somewhere in the 5 million pages of small print there's something about what does and doesn't constitute a receipt.

The onus is on you to request it (even though you didn't know that at the time, and were probably quite stressed), not for the airline to provide it.

This is why I resent travel insurance to a certain extent - the conditions are sometime a bit crazy - for example if you have an accident you must call them first and ask what hospital to go to. The likelihood is that if you get scooped up by an ambulance, no-one's going to pause to check out what your insurer wants.

Maybe try their Facebook page?
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAirlines

Advertisement